1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

How should i go about removing the Cat.?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:27 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How should i go about removing the Cat.?

ok well i got up under my car today to finally look at where the Cat. is and well... how am i supposed to go about taking it out? and all? i have a friend that is willing to help me take it out and such but just what all needs to be done in order to cut it out? and also since i'm putting in a straight pipe in place of it does the "straight" pipe need to be bent anywhere and if so where and how much?

Old 07-21-2006, 07:37 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Default RE: How should i go about removing the Cat.?

the straight pipe needs to be bent exactly how the cat is....if you look straight at the cat you will notice how it has 2 bends....one bending upward after the cat, and the other a little to the passenger side...

easiest way to remove is to just cut it with a sawz-all....if you cant pull it apart from where it slides into the pipe just after the cat.....but to give you more room you can unbolt it from the manifold first..then the pipe will lower a bit....

Old 07-21-2006, 07:42 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

never looked behind my engine but how hard is it to unbolt it from the manifold?

Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 PM
5.0LTREATER
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two spring bolts. They may break, but every auto parts stores sell them. Autozone has then in the HELP section of thier store. Even if they don't break, buy new ones. They springs loose tension due to the heat. Just look at them the next time you are under the car, it is really self explanitory.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:00 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

Really easy, like spud said the staight pipe needs to be bent exactly how the cat is, you can either have an exhaust place do it for you, you do it, or buy one that is bent just for the neon. I have one on mine and it was a direct fit, ( after I had that put on about a year later my header was put on, if you do that then something custom will have to be done to hook up the pipe to the header, and exhaust shope can do it easily for you ) I got it from tunningpros on ebay. the only prob I faced was getting the old one of the car. I didn't have a good lubricant and didn't know about a really good one at the time either but eventually WD-40 did its thing. when you finally get it off don't forget to buy a new donut gasket to hook back up to the exhaust mani, the old one will most likely be hard to get off, and will probably break on you, I got mine from Advanced Auto ( partsamerica) hope some of that was helpfull, have fun and good luck !!

Old 07-22-2006, 10:42 AM
neon.ace

I use a penetrant called "PB". I SWEAR by it. It works great on bolts that are overtorqued, rusted on, old and just won't come off. I bought mine at Pep Boys. You don't live in a city that has an inspection law do you? I would not think so if you are talking about removing your cat. Good luck with removing it. By the way I have a 98 neon and I took out the stock airbox and I would have great access to the headers and cat.

Quick Reply: How should i go about removing the Cat.?