1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

'96 Neon misses in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:15 PM
FrankHtown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Neon misses in hot weather

I have a similar issue with my '96 Neon (120,000 miles) in hot weather (Houston, TX). For two years now....from May to September, if it's over 90 degrees, I'll be driving at freeway speeds and feel a miss....in a few minutes the check engine light comes on...it will continue to occasionally miss, and if i slow down to stop, it will stall. Wait a few minutes, and it will start back up and run fine, for a while, then start missing again. The next morning, the car runs fine, then in the afternoon when it gets hot, it will start missing again. The screwy thing is this does not happen in city driving...only extended highway speeds. Usually A/C is running (it is 90 degrees!!) From September to May, the car runs great..no problems at all. The plugs are less than a year old, the wires about 2 years old. I checked codes and always get code 43(cylinder miss). I will occasionally get a code 11 (sensor not picking up?). The frustrating part is it's intermittant. Only happens when ambient temperature is around or above 90 degrees. Is there an ambient temp sensor on this vehicle??? Oh, and today I got a code 21 for the first time..

Please hurry September.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: '96 Neon misses in hot weather

Have you inspected the coil pack for any cracks? Plugs should be changed every 10,000 miles with stock Champions, no platinums or split-fires!

The code 21 is a O2 sensor problem, either upstream or downstream. The code 11 is either timing belt skipped a tooth(BAD) or intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. Make sure the wires and sensors are plugeed in correctly and there are no bare wires showing.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Whatsrt4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '96 Neon misses in hot weather

Have you tried removeing the weather stripping at the rear of your hood,it is said to lower engine temp by about 10 deg . It might not fix the prob ,but it may help
ORIGINAL: FrankHtown

I have a similar issue with my '96 Neon (120,000 miles) in hot weather (Houston, TX). For two years now....from May to September, if it's over 90 degrees, I'll be driving at freeway speeds and feel a miss....in a few minutes the check engine light comes on...it will continue to occasionally miss, and if i slow down to stop, it will stall. Wait a few minutes, and it will start back up and run fine, for a while, then start missing again. The next morning, the car runs fine, then in the afternoon when it gets hot, it will start missing again. The screwy thing is this does not happen in city driving...only extended highway speeds. Usually A/C is running (it is 90 degrees!!) From September to May, the car runs great..no problems at all. The plugs are less than a year old, the wires about 2 years old. I checked codes and always get code 43(cylinder miss). I will occasionally get a code 11 (sensor not picking up?). The frustrating part is it's intermittant. Only happens when ambient temperature is around or above 90 degrees. Is there an ambient temp sensor on this vehicle??? Oh, and today I got a code 21 for the first time..

Please hurry September.

Quick Reply: '96 Neon misses in hot weather