1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Camber adjustment on 95 acr

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:13 AM
95 ACR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber adjustment on 95 acr

I thought the front was adjustable on the 95 ACRs? Alignment shop told me my camber is not adjustable. Maybe the previous owner changed the struts?

Old 09-04-2005, 01:22 AM
ewetho
All Star
Default RE: Camber adjustment on 95 acr

There are plenty of after market products available to an alignment technician to aligns a slightly problematic camber problem. There are things called magna-cams etc. to allow that adjustment. If too far out you can bet something is wrong and needs to be fixed first. As the car wears or get slightly bent (Notorious for that trip to the dealer where the truck driver/loaders crank the straps down till the suspension bottoms out and then a couple more turns tweaks the towers.) anyhow long story short, if close and split is not too bad then would be good to have done but if out quite a bit and or split between sides is bad then you really need to have the adjusting bolts/magna-cams put in and have the alignment corrected. Caster is still not adjustable even after bolt installation but if it is out something is definetely bent!!!

Old 09-07-2005, 03:09 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Did he show you or just tell you? Firestone used to tell me the same thing because that's what their manuals said... then I'd go out there and show them they were wrong, and point out in the FSM where the camber adjustment procedure was... The '95 ACR struts were manufactured by Arvin, don't recall if the name was stamped on there somewhere. Like the Koni's, the top hole should be slotted in back, and the bottom hole slotted in the front. If the struts have been changed out for whatever reason, you can still get the camber kit ("crash" bolts) from the dealership and get a good degree worth of adjustment. Heck, you could use them in both holes and get more if you really want.

Best of luck!

Old 09-07-2005, 11:26 AM
95 ACR

Radarlove, firestone just told me it wasn't adjustable.

Can you see the slotted holes without pulling the bolts out?

Also I am having trouble picturing what your saying about the holes only being slotted in the front or back. I am quite mechanical but just don't have the time to take a look.

I do have the FSM, I will try and take a look tonight.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2005, 08:13 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Normally you can't see the slotted holes without removing the bolts. However, the bolts should have an eccentric head (like a cam) to make adjusting easier. The slots are only elongated by 1/4" or so.

Both front and rear struts are slotted for the 95's, but only one of the two holes where they connect to the knuckle are actually slotted. For the front struts, the bottom holes should be slotted. For the rear struts, the top holes should be slotted.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:32 AM
95 ACR

Ok that makes sense. I will pull a wheel off this weekend and check it out.

Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:20 PM
95 ACR

Ok Ive been away for a long time but finally got the car back to the alignment shop.

I thought the whole reason for the slots and the cams on the front suspension of my ACR was to go negative on the camber. I watched the alignment tech rotate the cam and it went from -.3 to +2.9 degrees. What? Why would I want +2.9 degrees? Is something wrong here?

I want to set this thing up for autocross and +2.9 is not the answer!

I had him put it back to -.3 and left it there.

~Evan

Old 07-31-2006, 08:14 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Positive camber for an autocross=NO BUENO!!!!

-1 to -2 camber=SWEETNESS!!!!!

Old 08-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Whatsrt4
Rookie

My car (95 acr also) came off the lot with 2 degrees poss camber setting??. the dealer said it was within fact specs and would do nothing for me [:@]It looked realy funny (it wasn't),it handelled like sh**.I had to get a camber kit and allignment for it to handle properly.It's been great ever since.
ORIGINAL: 95 ACR

Ok Ive been away for a long time but finally got the car back to the alignment shop.

I thought the whole reason for the slots and the cams on the front suspension of my ACR was to go negative on the camber. I watched the alignment tech rotate the cam and it went from -.3 to +2.9 degrees. What? Why would I want +2.9 degrees? Is something wrong here?

I want to set this thing up for autocross and +2.9 is not the answer!

I had him put it back to -.3 and left it there.

~Evan

Quick Reply: Camber adjustment on 95 acr