1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

click, click, click ... and nothing

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Arvonar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default click, click, click ... and nothing

So, my 97 Neon ran fine last night when I parked it. Got in this afternoon, turned the key, and got "click, click, click" over and over ... like a rapid fire machine gun steady clickity-ing.

The engine won't try to turn over, and when my husband turns the key and I stick my head under the hood, it sounds like the click is coming from the thing bolted to the front of the engine, which I assume is the starter (the negative cable from the battery goes to it). I just bought this car a month ago... I'm such a domestic car newb.

Okay. [:@] So, I can buy a starter and replace it, but before I do I hope to find out a couple of things from your minds which are likely far greater at car repair than my own.

1) is that the most likely problem? what else should I try before I drop 150 bucks on a new starter?
2) do I have to jack the car up and replace the starter from underneath, or is there an easier way?

Thanks guys (and gals!)

Old 08-27-2006, 04:19 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: click, click, click ... and nothing

try cleaning your battery clamps and posts.....start there first....

i found that the easiest way to get to the started is to remove the cooling fans....just the bolts ontop of the radiator amd then the wire harness clips.....that will give you alot of extra room to get in there from the top

Old 08-27-2006, 05:39 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try charging the battery.... jump it - my neon had a problem with the glove box light stayin on killin the battery
fast clicking sound usually is the selonoid in the starter clicking on & off cuz of a weak battery, either needs a new battery or something is staying on(dome light, trunk light, etc.) that made it go dead

Old 08-27-2006, 12:35 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to the above posts. Too many people overthink problems on the neon too much. Start with the battery and terminals, even if its new. Tyring to crank the car and just getting the clicking can drain the battery also.

Quick Reply: click, click, click ... and nothing