1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

fuel and rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:39 PM
jskala
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel and rpms

i have a '95 plymouth neon, 2.0 sohc, auto, we just replaced the head gasket at 82,000k and the gauge cluster. i got it all back together and now it runs great for about 15 minutes. after that the rpms start shooting up and down, up and down, and antifreeze comes out of the cap. the engine than dies. i can let it sit for 5 minutes and it starts and runs fine for 10 minutes. can anyone tell me what the problem can be? i will answer any questions in case i didn't describe the issue well enough. i must add that it has a full tank of gas that has been sitting in it for about 1 1/2 years, i believe i will put a can of seafoam in it to help that, but apparently the car was doing the same thing before it went down so long ago. i took over the project because no one would get off their ***. i don't know if it can be a sensor issue, computer issue, throttle body issue, fuel system issue, ect. i just need a jumping point.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:33 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fuel and rpms

sounds like sumthing might not be tight enough

Old 08-27-2006, 11:06 PM
bishop
Professional

i know this most likely isnt the problem but it was odd and took a whitle 2 find out the problem so ill share it with you , at my garodge we had a neon come in it idold for bout 15 mins and tehn stalled but if u tryed driving it before the 15 mins or so was up it just stalled , anyway twe took the intake off and there was napkins and rags down in the intake:S must have been under teh hood and got sucked in so it got enuff air 2 idol but when got hotter and reved higher or reved highr from driving it chouldnt get enuff air therefore it wud stall

Old 08-28-2006, 02:49 AM
Whatsrt4
Rookie

First I would get rid of the old gas and put in a new fuel filter. Then I would probably put in a new thurmostat ,as they are fairly cheap.Then I would check for a vacuume leak.If you can get it running long enough you could try some fuel injector cleaner on a long hard drive.Next would be emisions crap( yes the dreaded weak sensors),that I know little about.
ORIGINAL: jskala

i have a '95 plymouth neon, 2.0 sohc, auto, we just replaced the head gasket at 82,000k and the gauge cluster. i got it all back together and now it runs great for about 15 minutes. after that the rpms start shooting up and down, up and down, and antifreeze comes out of the cap. the engine than dies. i can let it sit for 5 minutes and it starts and runs fine for 10 minutes. can anyone tell me what the problem can be? i will answer any questions in case i didn't describe the issue well enough. i must add that it has a full tank of gas that has been sitting in it for about 1 1/2 years, i believe i will put a can of seafoam in it to help that, but apparently the car was doing the same thing before it went down so long ago. i took over the project because no one would get off their ***. i don't know if it can be a sensor issue, computer issue, throttle body issue, fuel system issue, ect. i just need a jumping point.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:20 AM
jskala

i went for a drive a little bit ago and the car rode and drove fine. ofcourse, i have a little white smoke re just replaced the head gasket. the car has to burn stuff off. than i let it run in the driveway for 10 minutes it finally started acting up. its like the fuel is fine at first but than it seems like the gas goes bad. it feels like a miss fire; bad spark plug, bad wire, bad coil pack, crapy fuel. my question is why after 15 minutes does it start acting up. is it possible that something this simple can happen after it runs fine for 15 minutes. it happens after my temp guage is almost halfway up, when the car is fully warmed up, and the fans have kicked on and off once. i know its got to be something simple. all suggestions would be great, i have the day off tomarrow i would like to clear it up. if i don't thank you guys and gals in the future i just want to say thank you now. i will try to find a way to hook up to a computer also. thanks again

Old 08-28-2006, 03:42 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

sounds like sumthing might not be tight enough
why even reply if you dont have a clue......

check your spark when its acting up, see if its blue / white or if its dull & ornage, 95's had problems with the coils - after so long they run rich & crappy as the coil heats up, have you got he codes out of the ECM yet? cylce the key on-off-on-off-on, the check engine light will flash the codes

Old 08-28-2006, 03:45 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

its also possible that an injector is shorting once it gets hot, check ohms on them if you have a meter when its hot, if one is way off from the rest

Old 08-28-2006, 04:55 AM
jskala

thank you for the input everyone. i guess i'm going to have a lot of fun tomarrow! it will be worth it though, i got a starting point thanks for all the help. i shouldn't expect a strong runner when it sat so long. if there are any more suggestions those would be great, i will be on tomarrow to update what i came up with, thank you.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:38 AM
jskala

hooked it up to the computer no codes. nothing wrong with the system according to the computer. ohms were all the same for the injectors, great spark from the plugs, the shop said with no codes it has to be the fuel. put some seafoam in it and some octane booster. still acted up, changed the fuel filter and ran strong for over an hour. we'll see how it goes.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:30 PM
racerx55
Record Breaker

yea clogged fuel filter could do it too, lol, hope that works for ya

Quick Reply: fuel and rpms