1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Tachometer Install Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:06 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tachometer Install Problem...

Might be why the tach wire was cut on my 97[:@] I had to resolder it back together to get the stock tach working again.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:12 AM
spudsterier
Legend

could be....when i cut mine i used a female connector on the stock tach wire and on the autometer tach wire....then a male connector on the input wire....that way i dont have to cut any more or solder the wires if i decided to remove the autometer(which i did for the time being)....just unplug and replug...then when i got to put it back in....just unplug the stock one again and plug in the autometer

Old 08-30-2006, 11:49 AM
JamesonC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, so another question to ask you guys, on the back of my tach, there's no orange or brown wires or a **** to adjust the engine size, so i know this thing's gonna be inaccurate, is it possible someone shoved those 2 wires inside of the tach?

Old 08-30-2006, 11:58 AM
das2123
Legend

The tach signal comes from the PCM, so the RPM's should be accurate. I haven't heard of adjusting for engine size.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:08 PM
JamesonC

Hmm, I had a stock tach, plus my Autometer in my 99 Dakota, and the Autometer was reading much lower than the stock, so maybe I wired it up wrong or something, I don't know.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:32 PM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran

Yea, I have had tachs that you have to switch over from a v8 to a v6 to an i4. Sometimes there is a switch right on the back, sometimes you have to take a backing plate off the tach and flick a switch inside.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:59 PM
spudsterier
Legend

the FAZE indiglo tach a had before, you had to remove a little back cover and set the pins.....but on my autometer, it had the wires to cut. i didnt know what they were for so i was going to push them inside because i didnt want them hanging out. well when i hooked it up in the car, it was really off(my redline read at 3,000rpms). then i found one on ebay that explained what the little wires were for, so i ran outside with a pair of wire cutters, snipped the wires and it worked fine...... anyways, all autometers should have the wires out the back...but i dont know if they make engine specific tachs yet). but sumone might of pushed them inside maybe not knowing what they are for. try hooking it up and seeing if its off. what model is the tach????

Old 09-15-2006, 10:44 PM
daydreamer

I have an autometer tach aswell but i installed it on my 98 strat. its an automatic (i like to install things for the experience,lol). either way, My instructions said to connet directly to the coil pack with a tach adapter. I tried to install it with the harness under the dash but when i connected it my tach and fule gauges would stop working and the tach wouldnt work either. that was before the tach adapter. Not sure if it helps but thats what I did.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:01 AM
xdeathwishx
Professional

i have a 99 neon, and i installed a tach with no adapter at all. you should wire the illumination into the harness in the dash as well. that way it lights up and dims with all the rest of your guages. i forgot what color it is, but if you have like a test light, you can just clip it to a piece of metal and stick the end of it into the connecter sections one by one. dim your lights up and down each time and eventually you will find one that makes the test light dim with the guages. just splice into that.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:07 AM
xdeathwishx
Professional

i forgot to mention though, that my car didnt originally have a tach, so there was none to unhook. and also that i wired it into the wire under the dash, not the pcm one.

Quick Reply: Tachometer Install Problem...