1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Removing Shift Knob?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:04 PM
myersjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Shift ****?

First of all, I apologize if this question has been asked a lot in the past. I am new here so I don't know!

I have a 1999 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe, it's a 5-speed manual. I bought a new shift **** and I wanted to install it, but I am having a lot of trouble with the stock shift ****. The last 5 speed I had was a 2000 Integra GS-R, and the shift **** could easily be removed by unscrewing it. However, it seems to not work the same way with my Neon. Even with both hands, I cannot unscrew the shift ****. I pulled down the leather under the **** and I see there is a plastic piece around the shaft, but I can't figure out how it works.

So, I was wondering if somebody could give me a good, detailed description of how to remove my shift **** cause it is driving me crazy.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Old 09-11-2006, 12:29 AM
neonbuddha
Default RE: Removing Shift ****?

Your gonna need an alan wrench, a small one at that. Pull the boot down and expose the plastic. You wont need the plastic piece because your new shift **** is going to come with one, and you probably wont need it. (At least I didn't and I have changed mine like 4 times). Put the new **** on, and it should come with the right size alan wrench to put those screws back in. Hope this helps.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:57 AM
mr340
Muscle Car Moderator

Pull the boot down to expose the 2 plastic tabs on either side of the shifter rod, if you pry the tabs out away from the pin, the old **** will slide straight off the top of the shaft. This might be easier with a third hand.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:43 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will only use an allen wrench to remove the **** if its an aftermarket.....but since yours is stock, use the above step....
the only other time you will need to use an allen wrench to remove a shifter is if the car is an auto....but its not so you dont need one

Quick Reply: Removing Shift Knob?