1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Fuel sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 04:22 PM
MakinationZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel sensors

so my car has been acting up on the gas guage for a while now. It was unnoticable for a long time. Now it just sits at the bottom. it doesnt bother me b/c I guage my gas usage by how many miles I drive. but the manager at the car repair shop said that if i wanted it fixed it would be 600$ because they would have to replace the whole fuel sending unit b/c the sensor isn't sold by itself.

Does the price sound right, and is he ****ting me or is there another way to go about it? I dont start my ASE training until next year, so until then i'm clueless :- (

Old 10-10-2006, 04:37 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: Fuel sensors

no, that price is horribly off, that place is taking you for a ride, a brand new fuel pump won't even cost half that, and that includes the sending unit the entire deal. try to get a used one from a yard, if you don't want go that route then try to order one online, its cheaper then getting it from a part store,then try to install it yourself, its not hard to do at all and only takes about 20 to 30 min or less to do and will save you a lot of money.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:55 PM
MakinationZ

I think they said something about the car was getting high voltage. It read a code 42. If I remember correctly. I'd have to go home and look at the paper work.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:42 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

Code 42: Fuel pump relay or auto shutdown relay(ASD) control circuit indicates an open or shorted circuit in condition. if they did a thoruough inspection and came up with that then they are still taking you for a ride woulnd't cost half of that if that's the only problem

Old 10-10-2006, 05:42 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Code 42 - Fuel pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range, Fuel level unit No change over miles.

Try to get the P code to get the exact problem.

Quick Reply: Fuel sensors