1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Aah 3K Bill to fix my car :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:11 PM
ewetho
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aah 3K Bill to fix my car :(

Question is why are the control arms recommended, bushings or balljoint. If just ball joint then you can have that changed or you could get urethane for the bushings if they are bad. Half shaft happen once in a while. I work at a Ford store and my dads car had a half shaft go bad at 15K miles.

I would find a reputable after-market shop at this time and get a second opinion. You may find much more reasonable quote. Could be you need it all just not need to pay those prices. If you are reasonably mechanically inclined you should be able to do some of this yourself.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:47 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

hm aftermarket that is a good idea. hey das do you remember that site you told me about that had the Kyb - Gr2 struts, those where only like 55 a piece with free shipping there would have to be some other good deals for other stuff too.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:15 AM
slow_hemi
Rookie

I worked at an advance auto for a few years and alot of garages buy there parts froms stores like this and charge you sometimes 35% more for the parts. you could buy the parts yourself and call a few shops to get a quote to install them. control arms are are about $95 a peice. just the bushings for the control arm are about $45 a peice then you have to have them pressed in I think and come with the lower balljoints so the complete arm is not a bad deal. The rack is about $250-$300. tierods are about $40 a peice. any good shop could have all the work done in 5 hours max. Dont let the man (dealer) get you down! Also the dealer was pointing out all the parts that could have caused the noises. Good chance you only need tierod ends since my experience with 1st gens in Ohio winters is the control arms and rack hold up nice for me. @nd gens is a whole nother story with control arms. Good luck

Old 10-15-2006, 10:00 PM
bishop
Professional

yeah i was just about 2 say .. over a grand for control arms... my dads done controll arms with laybor included for under 200$ on neons hes a mechanic but doesnt rip everyone off like SOME of these other cheap as*holes

Old 10-16-2006, 02:04 AM
DNeon
Professional

if you dun mind me askin, wat part of Canada you live in? If you live anywhere near Toronto I could direct you to a few good trustworhy mechanics

Old 10-16-2006, 02:53 AM
mr340
Muscle Car Moderator

ORIGINAL: p3

Hello,
Just got back from dodge dealership where i sent my car for inspection for a Squeaking sound coming from front when turning left and right and here is their estimate of the things and price :

Control Arms $1030.50 + Tax = 1174$ + Possible Boots = 70$(labour)

Steering Rack : $737 + Tax = $840 + 70$ (labour)

Front Brakes Rotors : $312 + Tax = $356

Right Axle : 655 + Tax = $746

So total is around : $3212 CND

^^ Are the Bull****ting me or something really messed up with car?????
Actually finding a sucker to pay these rediculous charges... =priceless

Old 10-16-2006, 03:54 AM
DNeon
Professional

jus wonderin did you have sumone diagnose it? or did they jus give you a list of wat it could b? an if they did diagnose it....how long did they do it for? cause yea those prices are ridiculous but wat are the chances BOTH control arms would go, an your rack...an for the axle...I'm pretty sure a refurbished one wont even cost you $100, my friend had to replace his on a hyundai got it refurbished...I think for $45 or sumn..

Quick Reply: Aah 3K Bill to fix my car :(