Aah 3K Bill to fix my car :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 09:57 PM
p3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aah 3K Bill to fix my car :(

Hello,
Just got back from dodge dealership where i sent my car for inspection for a Squeaking sound coming from front when turning left and right and here is their estimate of the things and price :

Control Arms $1030.50 + Tax = 1174$ + Possible Boots = 70$(labour)

Steering Rack : $737 + Tax = $840 + 70$ (labour)

Front Brakes Rotors : $312 + Tax = $356

Right Axle : 655 + Tax = $746

So total is around : $3212 CND

^^ Are the Bull****ting me or something really messed up with car?????

Old 10-13-2006, 10:02 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain
Default RE: Aah 3K Bill to fix my car :(

A dealership is always going to charge you more then what you would pay else where like your labor rate, i Know places here that go 45 and hour. and keep in mind when they get order parts to put on your car or use there own. it will most likely be higher then if you where to get them yourself which your your case would save some serious money. find a certified mechanic (ASE) and try there, there rates will be much lower and there work has a guarntee. plus it protects you in the long wrong if something where to happen in the area of legalities

Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 PM
p3
Rookie

So i just got talk to car repairs shops if they got ASE and some guarantee to fix stuff. But could the dealership be making some things up like control arms , i mean what is the purpose of control arms ??

Old 10-13-2006, 10:18 PM
FuzzRacer
Captain

basically yeah, ASE means that they have been properly trained to work on your car and will do ti right, its more of a piece of mind vs the backyard mechanic, you live in canada so it might be diff but there should still be something to insure your getting good car care. and that price is still to high, no there not making things up when there talking about the control arms, those along with the rest of the list they gave you are very real the control arm is a part of your steering system and they do exactly what they say " control " im suprised ball joints wasn't on that list or cv joint all apart of the suspension and steering system. like I said earlier there's probably something there in canada that's an equivalent to ASE here. if the work they have done on your car doesnt fix the prob you take it back, they dont charge( assuming it has something to do with what the claim to be the prob if its not related to what they said then yes the can charge you) , because by telling you " this is the prob" they are in somewhat of a verbal contract and commitment. plus it's just wrong to tell someone what there prob is, work on it and it not be fixed, that's just bad business

Old 10-14-2006, 03:50 AM
dogdaysunrise
Veteran

control arms are what the steering knuckle attaches to. there is an upper and a lower.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:46 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

usually a squeaking or creaking sound is simply a dry ball joint, tie rod end, or bearing plate on the top of the strut, seems like an awfull lot of parts for a squeak, im not sure why you would wanna replace the lower control arms unless theyre bent - doesnt add up to me--
ASE certified techs i agree SOME are good, others are book smart and can pass a test on paper and are complete retards when it comes to the hands on part of being a mechanic and **** evrything up

neons dont have an upper control arm, , just a strut and bearing plate

Old 10-14-2006, 02:22 PM
pimpberetta
Veteran

In reply to those prices, those are seemling unreal unless parts are cheaper up here in Canada.

Know for a fact either axle costs the same here and there about $100 a piece.

Rotors should not cost $300.

Try an auto store like autozone or canadian tire depending where you live, part source if theres one near you.

By the sounds of it, if the axle costs are that rediculious, then the rest of the prices would be out of this world. Try phoning around first, then compare and see what looks better.

Goodluck

Old 10-14-2006, 03:05 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: racerx55
ASE certified techs i agree SOME are good, others are book smart and can pass a test on paper and are complete retards when it comes to the hands on part of being a mechanic
Couldn't have said this better myself. I know some "ASE" Certifed mechanics I woulnd't trust to work on my neon, and yet I know some "shadetree" mechanics that I would trust.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:49 PM
p3
Rookie

Oh so ASE is out of the picture, darn i dont know where to go now , dealership is a no no from the looks of it, will see if i can get hold of some good mechanic or a shop , cause for 3k i might as well get another neon

Old 10-14-2006, 03:57 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: p3
cause for 3k i might as well get another neon
Couldn't have said that better myself.

How mechanically inclined are you? Do you have the tool and skills to do this yourself? I'd search around for parts and do it myself.

Quick Reply: Aah 3K Bill to fix my car :(