Record Breaker
Default RE: UDP and Header question

alright thanks for clearing that up guys
you've helped out a lot!

Old 11-01-2006 | 03:34 AM
winsettz
Veteran

Hmm, then how much HP does it "free up"? Numbers I've seen gave 2-5ish. If it does improve acceleration though...

Old 11-01-2006 | 04:13 AM
95neonriceeater
|
Record Breaker

thats about how much..hahaha

depends on mods

Old 11-01-2006 | 04:38 AM
FyreDaug
Veteran

A header is a header in my books. If your not planning on making an assload of power the differences between short tube, long tube and wider diameter headers are meh. If you want to spend hundreds of extra dollars on a "brand name" header to give you slightly better exhaust pulse merging and stacking etc etc then be my guest. But hoenstly the step up TO a header is an improvement alone. Having them NOT collect to one inches away from the head is where you will see most gains. I have had many pacesetters in the past and will continue to get more if I need a header (not on the neon) because they are fairly well made, better than I can do, but they arent TOP NOTCH. I would say pacesetters hands down, get them coated though as either they dont come coated or the coating they use is pretty cheap. I use high temp paint on mine aswell, its starting to peel a little but thats because its been sitting for 4 months and was used for 6.

Again, a header is a header. Header alone will probably net you 5hp+ but no more than 10, so either you spend <200$ for a pacesetter for 5-8hp, or you spend 500+ for 8-10. Not worth a cent more than pacesetter. But if you have a full exhaust system where scavenging is crucial, with mandrel bends all throughout and acceptable equipment and plan to make more than 180hp out of your NA neon maybe your gain in torque from a good header will be beneficial. Im no exhaust expert, but this is just coming from experience, take it as it is

Old 11-01-2006 | 04:59 AM
jared6180
Professional

I have had both, and I think the main thing you have to remember is that mods create a cumulative effect...so do as many as you can to get the most out of your car unless you have mods that directly conflict such as an underdrive pulley and a supercharger...fortunetly you dont have to worry about that in the neon community as much as you would in the mustang community for example.

Mod and have fun, you only live once, but you will have $200 to spend many more times before you die more then likely!!!

Old 11-01-2006 | 05:08 AM
95neonriceeater
|
Record Breaker

ahahah yea...you are very right
well the underdrive pulley, pacesetter header and custom intake are all going in at the same time
so hopefully i feel a real noticable gain!
hahah

one more question...

is it better to get the Modern Performance UDP or one of Ebay?

the reason i'm asking is because MPx UDP is solid and ones on Ebay or 3 spoke and i would assume it was harder to take off the MPx one...

Old 11-01-2006 | 05:38 AM
jared6180
Professional

more then likely they are probably about the same performance wise, but one thing you should look at is customer service, that would be the deciding factor for me...is one company proven itself to you more then the other as far as handling problems or complaints? I have ordered several things through Mod Perf and had no problem, ebay however seems to be a different story when it comes to car parts period...

Old 11-01-2006 | 05:42 AM
95neonriceeater
|
Record Breaker

yea i have to agree with the ebay part

i was just trying to find out how much harder it was to take the MPx UDP off since its not a 3 spoke

Old 11-01-2006 | 05:51 AM
jared6180
Professional

I am pretty sure that with either pulley you will have to use a puller to get it off, so they would be the same.

Old 11-01-2006 | 06:01 AM
95neonriceeater
|
Record Breaker

yea

i'm trust the MPx one more anyway
haha

Quick Reply: UDP and Header question