1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

New Windshield Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:46 PM
tonybonekhang
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Windshield Q

My friend's offering a 1st gen Neon for quite a good deal. Only problem is that the windshield got backed into so it needs a new hood and a windshield. When it got hit the Passenger wiper motor was pushed up against the lower part of the windshield and pushed in the frame(or cowel/firewall/whatever it's called) about an inch or two. I wouldn't call it bad but the dash got misaligned slightly and it's obvious that a new windshield won't mate up properly on the bottom edge. The bottom curve just isn't the right "curve" anymore if you know what I mean.

Hell, it's just going to be my winter-beater so if a glass shop is even willing to install a windshield as is (sans warranty of course) I'd just chalk that part in with some kind of filler. I'm sure the bend in the lower part hasn't affected the top and side portions of the windshield frame.

My question is how much you guys think the repairs for just the windshield be? I've gotten quotes at about $200 but this is if there isn't any work involved with that bent section. Anyone familiar with that creased part enough to know if you can easily hammer or pull it back out. Would an Auto Glass shop deal with it or will it have to visit a body shop first to get it pulled?

Old 11-20-2006, 01:16 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Windshield Q

I doubt a reputable glass place would install it if it doesn't seal correctly. They wouldn't want to be held liable.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:26 AM
tonybonekhang

That's what I figured, too. Any idea how hard it is to DIY the windshield? I know it can be done but I don't know of anyone that has. There's a junkyard in town with a used windshield.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:29 AM
das2123
Legend

Someone on here just recently did their own and said it worked out fine.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:31 AM
spudsterier
Legend

the windshield got backed into??? by what???

Old 11-20-2006, 01:33 AM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

the windshield got backed into??? by what???
Flatbed trailer???

Old 11-20-2006, 01:35 AM
tonybonekhang

My friend's drunk *** dad backed into it with a tundra/tacoma/whatever it is. It was high enough to miss the bumper so it scraped up the hood and pushed the wiper motor into the lower part of the windshield. Everything still drives fine, it's only at 126k miles. Just needs a new hood, windshield and a paint job (which I will be attempting to do myself). He wants $200 for it.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:04 AM
IGottaFreeNeon
Professional

I replaced my rear window, but it was just kicked out. It wasn't cracked from body damage. It was pretty easy, I had to get the new gasket, window sealant and a window from the dismantlers. A caulking gun and a razor blade were the only tools I used. If you goop it up good in the spot where it is damaged you could probably get away with it. Maybe. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:19 AM
tonybonekhang

Maybe I'll try tackling it myself. I found some how-to's on the web and it seems simple enough. From the looks of it you cut the old bead of sealant with a razor or "cold knife", strip as much of the old bead as you can, lay some new sealant and then through the glass on. What exactly would I need other than the sealant, knife, and windshield? What's the gasket?

Old 11-20-2006, 11:02 AM
spudsterier
Legend

you should just need the sealant.....
and hey if you mess it up, whats the worst that could happen.....take it to a shop and have them finish it???

Quick Reply: New Windshield Q