1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Engine running rough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 01:40 AM
BW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine running rough?

Hello folks! I'm new to the forum so please go easy on me, and excuse me if I ramble on too long. I have been having progressivly worse luck with the way my engine is running. It started a few weeks ago with just a miss very occasionaly and has progressed into running so bad when it is in gear that it will not hardly pull itself. The odd thing is that it idles very smoothe in neutral or park? I hope that someone can help me with this as this car seems to be pretty reliable other than this problem. I have changed the fuel filter since I have owned it, changed the spark plugs, cleaned the EGR valve, and a few other minor things, I just can't figure this one out?

Forgot to add my signature?[:-]

Old 12-11-2006, 03:20 AM
NEONRT98
All Star
Default RE: Engine running rough?

Check your wires and your coil pack.
Are you throwing any codes? Even if your Check engine light is off, you may still have codes in there!

Old 12-11-2006, 11:25 PM
BW

Yes I do have codes, 12, 21, 42, 43, 17. I checked them this morning after driving to work. The motor seems to stumble worse the further I push the gas pedal down. I can only just step on it a little, anymore than that and it starts to really sputter, going uphill really sucks because I can't get any speed out of it with only stepping a little on the gas pedal.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:55 PM
LiquidIce007

Here is what your codes mean:

12: Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles
17: Closed loop temp not reached or engine cold too long

21: 02 sensor problem (oxygen sensor), upstream or down stream

42: pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range, Fuel level unit No change over miles
43: Multiple/ single cylinder misfire

Have fun with that, sounds like for whatever reason your engine running way too rich. Lets see if anyone else chimes in...

Quick Reply: Engine running rough?