1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

95 neon engine stalls.. wont restart

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:49 PM
ictsean
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 neon engine stalls.. wont restart

ok guys thanks in advance for your help..

on to my prob...

My son has a 95 neon automatic. He will be driving down the road and the engine will just quit.. all the other electrical seems to be working properly.. radio, wipers, headlights etc. He will pull over and try to restart the car, however allit will do is"click click click click". After a nonstandard amount of time he will try it again and it will start up normally. The engine stalling is abrupt and intermittent. I checked his battery and Alt output yesterday, and all seemed to be in the proper range.. Inoticed there was a little bit of corrosion around the battery terminal bolts, but not really very much. I am pretty sure the problem is "ground" related, but was hoping to find out if anyone has experienced these same symptoms, and if so, what was your fix. Also one other thought had occured to me... that maybe the car has an ignition switch issue... I have heard ig switches in alot of newer cars cause all kinds of weird problems.. anyway.. thanks in advance for any and all help with this problem.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:59 PM
prplhaze
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 95 neon engine stalls.. wont restart

The main ground to the engine runs from just above the alternator, to the passenger side of engine compartment, near strut assmbly.Make sure thats tight and clean.Also I would check by the exhaust maniflod and make sure no wires back there are touching where they should'nt be.I found an oxygen sensor wire resting on my exhaust manifold once, caused problems just like your saying.

Look everything over real good, next step would be to maybe check for engine codes.?

Quick Reply: 95 neon engine stalls.. wont restart