1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

New motor - oil and coolant leaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:04 PM
wonderbud
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor - oil and coolant leaks

OK, I am new here, as I am sure you all can tell by my post count.

A little under two months ago, I drove my girlfriends 98 SOHC neon through a really deep puddle (looked like it was about 3") at about 10mph. It immediately stopped running. I noticed oil on the ground looked at the engine thoughouly and found a giant hole in the block.

I have since put in a junkyard motor, the date stamped on the block was like 4/3/96. It was in a Front-End, and they said it was working before the crash.

We now have the car running, however it leaks coolant (no white smoke, no oil in the coolant) which I think is coming from the heater core (we smell a sweet smell when the fan is on). Is it possible to repair this (if that is what is wrong), or do i need to get a new one? Also, how hard is it, because the heater core is behind the firewall, I dont know how to get to it.

It also leaks oil, and I have noticed smoke coming from the motor / out of the hood when it is running. From my searching on this forum, I am guessing its coming from the cam cover, but am not sure. It apears the smoke is coming from the driver side.

Any advice on where to look?

Also,

After putting the new motor in, on long highway trips, after about 30 minutes it pops out of fifth (did that three times previously in the 9months she has owned the car). From my google searching, It looks like it is a bolt that is coming un staked. I talked to some people and they thought that it was a cable adjustment issue, however when I look in my haynes, it says that they are not adjustable except some cable i forgot the name of (crossover?). ideas?

One more thing,

I didnt know where to hook the EGR valve up to, the part that the haynes manual said i should put the tubing on (forgot the name), was not where there diagram said it would be.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-05-2007, 10:39 PM
winsettz
Veteran
Default RE: New motor - oil and coolant leaks

ORIGINAL: wonderbud
After putting the new motor in, on long highway trips, after about 30 minutes it pops out of fifth (did that three times previously in the 9months she has owned the car). From my google searching, It looks like it is a bolt that is coming un staked. I talked to some people and they thought that it was a cable adjustment issue, however when I look in my haynes, it says that they are not adjustable except some cable i forgot the name of (crossover?). ideas?
1*

I didnt know where to hook the EGR valve up to, the part that the haynes manual said i should put the tubing on (forgot the name), was not where there diagram said it would be.
2*
Thanks in advance!!!
1. Isn't that a sign of a messed up transmission? Replaced engine & tranny together at the JY did you not?

2. EGR goes on the driver's side of the engine, connecting to the TB by the EGR tube. The sizes of the rubber tubes leaving the valve and connecting to the transducer are different sizes, so that alone should help you with connecting the thing. I think the one on the bottom of the transducer goes to the "big" outlet on the EGR and the one facing forward to the small...or perhaps it's vice versa. But they're different sizes so you should be able to tell where it goes.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:31 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

thats a hole lot to reply to. first off this is just an edjucated guesse. the smoke from your valve cover is probaly from your valveswhen you popped your block you most likly hit the head with your piston and bent a valve, you need a new valve and have it seated. heater core, after a swap somtimes people have a tendecy to pull the lines so see if that is the prob first,if not get a new one and put it in your self easy install. for the tranny check the bushings on your tranny

Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 AM
winsettz
Veteran

full, I thought he replaced the engine w/ a JY one?

Next off, did you pull the engine/tranny as one and replace it with a engine/tranny set from the JY? To take out the tranny you probably had to remove the bushings (if there were any...Neons seem to lose em) and then reinstall them when the new engine/transmission was installed. Or did you just get a new motor and bolt it onto your old transmission?

Quick Reply: New motor - oil and coolant leaks