1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

So I was driving down the highway when....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 02:01 AM
meshorte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I was driving down the highway when....

My car pretty much shut off. Yeah listening to the radio when it kind of pulled to the right..just barely and then I could not go anymore because it shut off. lol. Soooo my car saviors..what could it be?

Old 01-06-2007, 02:25 AM
winsettz
Veteran
Default RE: So I was driving down the highway when....

Did you inspect the car to look for anything obvious? Did the belt blow? Does the car give a CEL in the ACC position? Are you leaking a fluid of some sort, either transmission, coolant or oil? Did the car battery connectors just "pop out", or are they loose? Is that cable cut? Maybe the ASD relay is enjoying itself? Was there a unusual temperature indication anytime recently? Maybe your fuel pump cut off? Coil pack gave up? Ran outta gas?

Old 01-06-2007, 02:49 AM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

fuel pump. if you have power, i would say that is the culprit. can you hear it come on when you turn the key to power? assuming you have power that is.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:33 AM
meshorte

Well I didnt inspect anything. All I wanted was to get to work on time. But I still had lights and the radio worked. Had plenty of gas. No unusual temperature. Just got my fuel pump changed in August. I mean it could very well be a belt...but I was just so all over the place on the phone trying to find a ride and damn traffic is so noisy..so yeah thats pretty much all I know...

Old 01-07-2007, 12:01 AM
DNeon
Professional

do you remember wat happened before your car shut off? I mean anything outta the ordinary? did the engine stumble an then turn off or did it jus shut off jus outta nowhere?

Old 01-07-2007, 12:21 PM
prplhaze
Professional

It dont matter who you were talking to on the phone, or the traffic, or what you had to eat...:P The more info you can give us about how your car died is what would help here.As dneon asked, did the engine stumble at all beforehand.? Did it do anything out of the ordinary, or just die, and thats all you know.? What happens when you try starting it again.Does it crank over fine, does it act like it wants to start at all? Can you hear the fuel pump kick on when you first turn the key over to the on position.?

Old 01-10-2007, 04:25 AM
sps20racer

Camshaft positioning sensor. I bet you can fire your car back up after it sets for a minute. It will run for about 5 to 10 minutes and then shut off again. Its one easiest and cheapest things to fix.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:12 AM
unclemike
Veteran

Cross your fingers and hope it wasn't the timing belt. What's the service history on your car? The timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles or so. The engine will shut off and no amount of cranking will help. Unlike the 2.2l motors parts in the 2.0 /2.4l motors crash into each other.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:20 PM
winsettz
Veteran

Timing belt might do it too, but don't those usually make a bang noise, either from the belt snapping or everything inside the engine smashing together at the same time?

Quick Reply: So I was driving down the highway when....