1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

motor pull need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007 | 02:19 AM
das2123
Legend
Default RE: motor pull need help

Getting the head off would involve removing the crank pulley and timing belt also. Rent a lift to take it out.

Old 01-11-2007 | 02:24 AM
romeo21
|
Professional

that what i was thinking now for the stupid question can i rent a lift from like auto zone or do you have any where i could get one i live in el paso

Old 01-11-2007 | 04:26 AM
NEONRT98
All Star

That engine is still heavy.. I dropped mine from the bottom, but then again, I had to cut out the radiator support anyways.. Get a lift!

Old 01-11-2007 | 05:40 AM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

i took mine out from the top with the tranny still attached. easiest thing on the harness is to take an 8mm socket and disconnect the engine harness from the major harness in the bay like stated above. disconnect the exhaust from the manifold and cat, it is easier to take the intake mani off to get it out, but mine fit with it still on. all i did was removed the axles, radiator, disconnected the exhaust, o2 sensors, i did unplug every sensor by hand, but the above mentioned plan is sooo much easier. fuel lines are the easiest thing to take off, but be sure to releive the pressure in the fule rail first by taking the cap of the valve located in the middle of the fuel rail and be carefull not to get gas in the eyes when you press in the valve with a nail or small screwdriver. after that, disconnect the fuel line, under the car, if it is the same, unbolt the bobble strut in the rear of the block, front motor mount has to come completely off the block and the car, then, hook up said hoist and have a small amount of tention on the engine.

unbolt the one bolt for the tranny mount to sepperate it from the body, and undo the two bolts on the passenger side top mount sepperating it from the body but leave it on the motor assembled. once this is all done along with the heater core hoses and any vacuume lines, it is time to pull. you will dropp the motor about 2 inches at forst for the tranny mount to clear, and pull the engine forward til it is cleared, then raise it up up and up. a little jiggle here and there and it should come out with minimal effort. of course, i have a heister to hank mine out, almost took the whole car up up up lol. good luck, and if your stumped, feel free to ask anything, we can help.

Old 01-11-2007 | 06:48 AM
romeo21
|
Professional

ok so when i get the lift i want to go out though the top ? where are the best places to put attach the lift ? and im sorry for all the dumb questions this is my first time pulling out a motor so far all of what you guys are telling me as been really helpful thanks guys ill post pics of what it looks like so far so that you can have some what of an idea thanks

Old 01-11-2007 | 02:33 PM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

pm replied. piece of cake.

Old 01-11-2007 | 03:06 PM
shnormo
Veteran

I drop it from the bottom. I take the cradle out.

Old 01-11-2007 | 04:09 PM
spudsterier
Legend

if removing the motor i take it out through the top.......if taking out the tranny i go through the bottom

i connect a chain to one of the bolts that hold on the power steering resivoir and then the other end on one of the farthest right side bolts that holds on the intake manifold...

Old 01-11-2007 | 05:10 PM
QuiK615
Veteran

might make a good checklist FAQ on how to remove a neon engine

Old 01-11-2007 | 06:08 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

just a trick for your first time when you take somthing off stick the bolts back into your part or the block to keep it organized, if the bolts get mixed up it can get confusing when you put the new one in a week or two later

Quick Reply: motor pull need help