1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Grind or Moan in front end

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:57 AM
97RamRob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grind or Moan in front end

Hey I'm looking for some help. I have a 99 neon that moans when driving. It's definetely coming from the front end and here's the catch....when I turn the wheel to the right it goes away. I know it's weight bearing because I put it on jacks and had it up to 55mph and no noise. Checked the axles and nothing leaking or excessively loose nor is there any popping in turns. Just a damn loud moan. It turns fine, no sticking and no hard turns. Also not the tires because I had new tires put on and still there. Any ideas?

Old 01-14-2007, 02:25 AM
neisg1
Veteran
Default RE: Grind or Moan in front end

It sounds like a wheel bearing is rough noisy, it should be changed as you don't want it going out at highway speed. The bearing is about $50.00 it's pressed into the steering knuckle. The book recommends removing the steering knuckle from the car and taking it to a shop to have the bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in. I did mine on the car with specialty press tools, it was a tough getting the old one out but, this way it saved a wheel alignment. I wouldn’t recommend doing it on the car unless you already have the tools.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:04 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

i have the same issue and i thought it to be the wheel bearing as well but, when i changed the wheel bearing and it did not fix it i kinda gave up on trying to figure it out. if that happens to u but u still figure it out let me know, please!
shane @ cernunose9999@aol.com

Old 01-15-2007, 02:42 PM
prplhaze
Professional

My Neon does the exact same thing, and Im sure its my wheel bearing.It's been going out for over a year now.If I rest my foot on the floorboard, I can feel the vibration from it.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:11 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a bad wheel bearing a while back....man was that loud, inside and outside of the car.....
you could wiggle the tire about an inch in every direction[&:]....drove it like that for 3 monthes until i finally got tired of it and fixed it

if you r vibration didnt get fixxed by the wheel bearing, you might wanna check the tie rods.....if not look at the tires, they may have a broken belt

Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 AM
97RamRob

A little update. First of all thanks to all who replied. I talked to adodge mechanic when I took my truck in for service and he said the same thing y'all did about the wheel bearing. He said one way to test it is put the front of the car on jacks and grab the coil spring while you rotate the tire (by hand of course) if you can feel the vibration in the spring then your bearing is bad. So I tried it and I'll be damned if it didn't work. Sometimes them fellers actually know whattalking about. I haven't tried to change it yet but I'll fill you in when I do

Quick Reply: Grind or Moan in front end