1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

my car just died

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 05:22 PM
tdizz07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car just died

i was driving down the road and my car started to like sputter like if i didnt have any gas(im thinking its the fuel pump) and then i got into a gas station and it cranks but wont turn over, since its at the gas station i cant check anything yet. i bought the car knowing that the fuel pump would shut off when it got warm, do you think that the fuel pump could have just gone out completely now?

Old 01-17-2007, 09:25 PM
dcmcguy
Veteran
Default RE: my car just died

when you turn the key on without starting it...does it make a humming noise for like 2 seconds??? if it doesnt your fuel pump is most likely dead

Old 01-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Bassboy
Veteran

Possible that the fuse for it is blown?

Old 01-18-2007, 07:51 AM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

yea check out the fuses....a while back i ended up paying $140 to a mechanic to find out why my car wouldnt start and ended up being a blown fuse which took him 2 hours to figure out. so i get charged the labor hours.....what a d-head[:@]

Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

fuel pump mine did that too
there are 2 kinds of fuel pumps for the neon
1 is plastic and 1 is metal
i have the plastic one
spud stated before that you dont have to drop the fuel tank to replace it. i did cause it made it a bit eaiser i hope you dont have a full tank

if your not sure if it is the fuel pump check fuses then put a fuel pressure gague on it you can attach it to the fuel rail under the hood it should read about 50 psi (when mine went out it was reading 25psi and would only run if i didnt put my foot on the accelerater) attach it with the car off. then just turn the ignition on and check it

Old 02-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Ramrat
Professional

just a side note, if you do have alot in the tank there is a drain on the pump that has a rubber plug on it. definately check that fuse(on the block under the hood) as that seams to be the culprite when you have over $100 into it(dam fuse is like 1/2 a penny), but as thepump was known as problematic when you got it, i'd lean that way. just always rule out the silly simple stuff first. good luck

Old 02-01-2007, 10:59 PM
tdizz07
Rookie

hmmn well i bought a fuel pump cuz thats what i thought it was and i was at the gas station so i didnt really wanna check everything out i just wanted to get it home to see it before i just pop the hood and try and figure something out at the gas station but it ended up being the coil pack connector clip broke and it came off so the spark plugs weren't functioning so there was my problem thanks for the help im gonna have to do a fuel pump soon so ill have to remmeber all this info

Old 02-02-2007, 07:19 AM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

good thingthe problem wasnt major...so let us know how it runs after u get it fixed

Old 02-05-2007, 01:00 AM
tdizz07
Rookie

it runs like normal now i need to do a lot to it still i have a lot of trouble starting it in the cold i kinda think it could be the fuel pump cuz when it does start it makes some crazzy noise and its not the started cuz i just repalaced that and its not the battery cuz i put a bigger 640cc amp battery in just got a side post and took a crowbar to the battery box lol

Quick Reply: my car just died