1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 neon injection to carburetor convertion

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007 | 06:04 PM
BrickWurX Mfg.
Default RE: 98 neon injection to carburetor conversion

Thanks for your help, we will check it out. Making an adapter from stainless should be no problem. It may be best to run dual carbs, one for two cylinders each. less air to fuel mix for distance.

Old 01-23-2007 | 07:04 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

i wish i could get almost 290hp out of a stock looking neon motor[&:]....hmmmm
you can....just turn the boost up lol...then you go BOOM! jk

Old 01-23-2007 | 09:54 PM
spudsterier
Legend

i know i could...but i dont wanna ruin my car...
but either way....290hp with those mods just seems a little odd....if i woulda known i could get that much power with those upgrades, i would said screw the turbo

Old 01-23-2007 | 11:53 PM
das2123
Legend

ORIGINAL: BrickWurX Mfg.
we did manage to squeeze about 290HP out of the DOHC Neon motor!
Do you have a video or dyno of this?

Old 01-23-2007 | 11:58 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

i cant say that i agree on the duel carbs. air fuel ratio for speed should be about 13.5-1. ( 13.5 parts air-1 part fuel) and for economy it should be about 14.5-1 ( depending on ur compression, temp. and rpm.) and u should have no problem getting that from a single carb. . the only reason i said it seams like kinda a small intake to be fitting a carb. on is just cause all the stuff im used to having carbs. on arent small displacement honda's or sport compacts but instead large displacement engines with high compression. after spending the day kinda thinking it over, i really dont think u should have any problems, just so long as u respect the cfm ratings for the engine and try to match that with a correcly rated carb. a good resource for finding out what kind of cfm the carb should be might be to look at the carbed small displacement engines of the 80s and 90s., find one that had simular displacement and liked to opperate in the same rpm ranges and u should be close. very close. once again, hope i helped and didnt get to gabby on u, but i like these kinda projects. i cant help but get a little enthused.

Old 01-24-2007 | 02:45 AM
BrickWurX Mfg.

Thank you for being so helpful. The Unorthodox Pulley has a three bolt pattern that will allow us to directly bolt on a toothed ignition trigger. We will have to fabricate the intake for the carb. Centering it should help, but the original air intake seems very rough inside to mix properly and allow good flow. it is off to the side as well. Better off with smooth stainless intake for better air and gas flow. Thanks Agian.
As for previous questions on the dino by another. If the motor ran properly, a dino would be the first thing listed. Ceritified Dodge mechanics recomended the upgrades and we have listen to there advise. Finding someone that races this engine in this town has been slightly more difficult. So, you may be correct, HP may be lower than hoped for. But that will be corrected, one way or another. 250+ is the goal. The motor weightturned sidewayssat perfectly for direct drive rear wheel. meaning the bike is shaft driven, and automatic. A downer for racers. New for bikers. This along with the fact the main block is cast iron instead of aluminum was the reason for choosing Dodge verses honda or another comapany. simplifying the electronics may help once converted to carb. But we will have a tone of parts not needed if this is the case.

Quick Reply: 98 neon injection to carburetor convertion