1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

EGR Valve Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:29 PM
1995redneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EGR Valve Help!!!

Thanks for the tip. i will clean it ASAP.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:02 PM
albrigap

I have a 98 Neon with Codes 12,32 & 55 found when turning the key on three times and counting the flashes of the check engine light. The code 32 is an EGR failure.

I took the egr valve off, applied vacuum to the can and nothing. I ran a drill bit into the can and the vacuum line tube was plugged solid with coked oil, etc.I dumped out the blackpowder and applied vacuum again. It worked. So, before removing the egr valve, run something into the port on the egr can and make sure it is open to the diaphragm. Apply vacuum and see if it then works. All thetubes were open and I re-installed it.

I then got out the Mitchell Manual and found there should be between 25-75 ohms resistance through the EGR solenoid. Mine was open with zero ohms. Bad electrical coil inside the solenoid. I then took the bottom off the solenoid and found the diaphram torn just above the bottom vacuum port. Now it is really bad.
It appears to me the egr solenoid is the biggest culprit here. Mopar wants $150 for the egr-egr solenoid set. They will not sell separatly. Screw them.

I got to looking on the internet and a guy makes the spacer plates/blockoff plates to rid yourself of the egr system, I live in a state where these types of things are allowed. No inspection. He also told of a 10 Watt resistor that he would sell that would stop the check engine light from coming back on.

I thought to myself, self, If I can find a 10 watt resistor that is somewhere between 25 and 75 ohms resistance, that would mimictheegrsolenoid and my problems are over.

I go to the local Radio Shack and found a 10 watt, 50 ohm wire wound resistor, pack of two, for $2.00. Radio Shack part #: 271-133.

I have not tried this to see ifthis resistor will replace the EGR Solenoid and keep the cel off. If it will, then I will leave the egr valve on the engine, since it is in the closed position, with the EGR solenoid on the car, but inoperable, and no one will be the wiser. I will be plugging this resistor into the two wired plug that used to plug onto the EGR Solenoid.

Will post the results when known. I did have a 1/2 watt 30 ohm resistor that Iput in theline last night. That went up in smoke immediately. That was 1/100th of the wattage needed and should have burnt. It did.

Hope this helps somebody.

PS:
Code 12 = Some idiot had the battery unhooked lately.
Code 55 = The computer is working, the end. It should always flash Code 55 even if there are no other codes.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 PM
albrigap

It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I unhooked the battery to clear all codes, with the exception of code 12 and 55, which should be there.

I put the resistor in the plug that was plugged to the egr solenoid. One lead plugged into each wire hole. Went for a drive. It kept the CEL off. Drove around for a 1/2 hour with no problems. The EGR Valve is now closed and inoperable. The computer now thinks the egr solenoid is hooked up and working properly. Stupid computer. It was fooled.

Hope this helps someone else. If you don't have to worry about the good people who care about the environment, or government officials, this is a cheap fix. I think of it more as a way to test the EGR Solenoid, forever.

Today a replacement EGR solenoid showed up. I had bought one on e-bay but it was bad. Checked the coil with a voltmeter and it reads 33 Ohms. I have put it on, because I have it. If it works, fine. If not, back to the resistor.

Quick Reply: EGR Valve Help!!!