1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

96 Neon gurgling, strut prob, spin/whine sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 AM
sandykay65
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Neon gurgling, strut prob, spin/whine sound

I need HELP guys. I have a 96 Neon Sport, SOHC, a/c, automatic. I recently had to replace the cam pulley on car cause was wobbling really bad and found the timing belt cover to be busted as well.

Now I hear a rattling like where the water pump is and when shut off car hear a gurgling. I replaced the thermostat. I checked to make sure NO oil in antifreeze, now antifreeze in the oil, nothing. There is no white smoke, it dont overheat. No leaks coming from water pump nor thermostat either. Thought possibly my water pump might be on verge trying to go out. What are some suggestions? If water pump, will change timing belt while at it too.

Also here lately been hearing like a spin/whine type sound when I start my car up wether it early in morning or been driving it all day. Thought maybe a starter or possibly bedix in the starter possibly.

Also I had struts changed all around car front and back, and thought that would smooth my ride, well it did smooth out the ride in front, but when hit least slight bump in road or a speed bump or what have you, it sounds like it coming thru my trunk lid in back. I know thats not right and shouldnt ride like that. What could be wrong?

Am a single female and hard for me to get anyone to work on car, without having to take to expensive shop to get raked thru the coals. Have relied on this forum before on other things that could been wrong and your advice was pretty much hit on head of nail.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:29 AM
CRJ8029
Default RE: 96 Neon gurgling, strut prob, spin/whine sound

Well Sandykay it dose sound like your water pump is about to go for one i just replaced the pump on my DOHC 1999 Neon and it was making the same sound and that sound you hear on start up is probly part of your problem with the water pump if the baring are going bad in the water pump it will sound like it's worling/rattling or even grinding.

I also replaced a rear strut on mine to check to see ifthere bad grab the top of your rear tires and shake hardby pulling it in and outhard if it has play back and forth it's bad and it will cause the rear of your car to sound horabule and bottom out vary hard.

I always like to check the simple things first i hope i helped you today..... also i am a auto machinc myself

Old 02-08-2007, 08:29 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no cam pulley on the neon...so what did you have replaced. The crankshaft pulley?

Your radiator cap may need to be replaced, that can cause the gurgling problem. The whine or spin you hear may be your belts are tight enough or are out of alignment. If you did have the crank pulley replaced, they might not have gotten it all the way back on.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:13 AM
sandykay65

Well it was called cam pulley on the ticket, but the box said sprocket. The whinee sound was told it prob the bendix in the starter. I do know when I first start it up in mornin, if turn wheel either way left or right, it will screech real loud, but if put in gear, let it roll a bit, then turn my wheels either way it dont do that.

As far as the struts go, I replaced all 4 of them, the shop that put them on says the rubbers between the spring and the strut looke like gettin pretty worn. Think they called it a spring isolator at the dealer, but wasnt sure if can still have put on since it been bout 2 months since had the struts put on all way around. I will try the radiator cap tomorrow. Is there a certain temp one I need to look for that is more specific for a Neon, or just the OEM type? Now remember I live in the hot sunny dessert so we get very HOT heat here.

Thank you both for all your help, I really do appreciate it alot.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:17 AM
sandykay65

Will the spring isolators make it have the sound of like its coming thru the trunk? Sounds like am sittin right on ground when it does that?

Old 02-09-2007, 03:12 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a radiator cap with a pressure relief valve.

Quick Reply: 96 Neon gurgling, strut prob, spin/whine sound