1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Friend bought a 96 and wants to disable the use of a key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:56 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Friend bought a 96 and wants to disable the use of a key in ignition

my guess is that by " Yur friend " u mean " Yurself" and by all this b.s..what u really want to know is How To Steal a Neon. its not that hard to replace the whole setup for a simple push button ignition setup, but the only reason to do this is if he intends to turn this into a race car, or put it into a situation where he has no reason to fear it getting stolen. if he really does have this car... and its his... then he needs to buy and starter button kit and fulfill the instructions. this is gonna take a whole lot more time than u have got to steal the car. So have fun.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:06 PM
ZiggyNeon
Veteran
Default RE: Friend bought a 96 and wants to disable the use of a key in ignition

dont need a kit to do the push button start...
check the DIY page i did up a write up on how to do a push button start

only way not to have a key is to take the cylinder out like spud mentioned
but then you would have no way to keep the power to the acc wire (blue and white i think)
so youd have to hook up a rocker switch or what ever kind of switch you wanted for the acc then turn that on before starting the car

then if its a manual theres nothing stoppin someone from stealing it(since the steeringwheel will always be unlocked)

Edit heres the link for my DIY push button starter
https://dodgeforum.com/m_576886/tm.htm

Old 02-15-2007, 11:28 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran

lawl at me wanting to steal a neon. no thanks, and if I wereto do it, it would be the simple screw driver trick.

But as I said my friend wants his to start without the key, and look like there is no key in the ignition. Not many thieves will bust into a neon (or bend the window out of the way.... go neons) and just try to see if itll start, atleast I wouldnt think so.

Who cares, it was like a 700 dollar neon anyways, its just his throw away car. hes got a 98 suburban or something on his business lease, he just wanted a beater for kickin around town

Old 02-15-2007, 11:30 PM
FyreDaug
Veteran

and no, hes not wanting to do some crazy push button thing. if its this complicated just to get this to work like that, ill just tell him to spend another 2.50 on a key and just keep it under the floor mat or something

Quick Reply: Friend bought a 96 and wants to disable the use of a key in ignition