1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

went to pull-a-part and scored this...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: went to pull-a-part and scored this...

yea its a neon engine.....hopefully soon ill have a oil pan with the return line fitting tapped into it...aint that rightspud?

im about to start taking it apart tomorrow....is there anything i need to worry about when taking the crankshaft out?.....is it easy or hard?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:52 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its fairly easy to do......you just need to find the right size bolts for the steering wheel type puller to get the oil pump off.....make sure that when you take off the rod bolts to try and not round them off....otherwise you have a long time with a grinder ahead of you(i know)...unless you just unbolt the base plate and pull the crank/rods and pistons/ and oil pump all out in one shot...then you dont need the puller to get off the oil pump, just unbolt it from the block and leave it on the crank.......

im gonna get on that oil pan here real soon....i just need to make it down to farm and fleet to get the fitting......but for now im getting redy to go and pick up my pistons at UPS

Old 02-27-2007, 06:51 AM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

ok kol...spud, thanks man...not really in a rush....might be late march/early april by the time the engine goes in....might wait til after i paint so i can spray the engine bay while the engine is out. going from white to black.....maybe with just a front lip and z3 fenders....nothing flashy

oh yea....did you get your pistons/rods from ebay too? if so, how long did they take to get to you?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:22 PM
spudsterier
Legend

yes i got the pistons and rods from eaby.......cnc motorsports...
took about 4 days to get the rods and about 6 days to get the pistons since they were shipped separately.....plus, the pistons had to be signed for in person, and since i work all the time, i had to set up a time to go to ups and pick them up.....

Old 02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

yea thats where i got mine from too....that sucks that they are shipped separately[:@]

Old 02-27-2007, 02:02 PM
spudsterier
Legend

yeah i know.....i didnt realize they were gonna be separately, so when i got the rods i called up the place they came from and started yelling at them.....then after a few miuites they finally told me that they are shipped separately and would be there later that day or the next[&:]

Old 02-27-2007, 05:18 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

lol....i bet you were like[:@]

started ripping the block apart today.....ran into that harmonic balancer pulley problem.....i guess i gotta rent one from advance or somrhing, gotta get that crank out

Old 03-02-2007, 02:59 AM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

man advance auto trying to charge me $100 just to rent a harmonic balancer!...so i took it to the machine shop thats doing my block work...and managed to get it off....after about an hour and a half. he tried his 3 jaw puller.....didnt work...then we put some heat to it....that didnt work either....so the last resort was taking a 30lb hammer and beating it off.....managed to get it off after about 6 or 7 bangs...
so to clean the block, bore .020 over and hone, clean and polish the crankshaft.....will run me $125..should be ready next week. im also gonna get my cylinder head cleaned, 5 angle valve job, and get it cleaned for an addtional $100-125...they do great work too.....ill post pics when i get the block back

Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 PM
spudsterier
Legend

so about 250.00 for the work....that doesnt sound bad since its gonna cost me about 800.00[:@]
but im also getting the crank balanced so the motor will last longer under alot of power and it will also make the motor idle better

Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

how much does balancing the crank cost alone for you?

Quick Reply: went to pull-a-part and scored this...