Of Oxygen Sensors and Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:34 PM
tjoris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Of Oxygen Sensors and Gauges

Hallo all.

Two questions:

1.) I bought my 95 Neon from my pastor's daughter. It's a beautiful car that had been sitting in the backyard for months. The car runs fine, but in I'm in the process of trying to get it in shape because it's has over 100K miles and I'd like to replace some key parts (however, I'm completelty new to any type of car repair and maintenance due to this being my first car). Anyway, my Check Engine light is on and I believe (from internet surfing) that I may need to replace the oxygen sensor. My pastor said that they'd replaced it once before, but said maybe I should go on to replace it anyway. Sometimes, my car stalls when I'm idling and deisels when in park. Also, I just found out that my spark plugs are fouled with oil, but that's another issue. The auto parts store says I should replace both sensors: up and down, claiming that there is a sensor in the front and in the back. I was under the impression that there was only one sensor. And because one sensor is $50 and the other $80, I want to make sure that such a scenario exists. Any ideas on this?

2.) A while I'm at it question: I just bought a racing-type gauge that is a film-like material interlaced with circuitry. Seems simple to install. I went to install the gauge and found alien screws holding my old gauge in place. Fine, I thought, pulling out my allen key set. But, neither worked. I'm thinking to myself, OK, somebody was able to install it, so I MUST be able to take it apart. Has anyone does this before? What sort of tool should I be using to remove my gauge?And should I just leave it up to a pro since I'm dealing with gauges.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-26-2007, 11:56 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Of Oxygen Sensors and Gauges

the gauge might actually be held on with torq screws instead of allens.....

there are 2-02 sensors.....up stream (top/front) and down stream (bottom/rear)....dont waste the time replacing the downstream unless you just want the check engine light off.....this sensor wont make the car run bad, its only there to make sure the cat. convertor is working properly......
replace the upstream.....this one is the one that can cause running problems and is located in the exhaust manifold underneath the air filter box....

Quick Reply: Of Oxygen Sensors and Gauges