1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Computer question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 01:43 AM
DurangoDarrin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer question.

OK. I need a p05293065 ad computer. I am finding ae, ag, and af computers. I realize this is probably just emission coding but, all I can find out is they are all for 1998 dodge neon dohc auto trans, federal emissions vehicles. Does anyone KNOW what these codes are for certain or have a link..Thank guys

Old 03-04-2007, 12:10 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Computer question.

You have a 98 DOHC ATX??? If so, you can use a DOHC MTX PCM from 97-99.

Why do you need a new one?

Old 03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
DurangoDarrin
Rookie

I'm having a slight miss/surge at idle. I've checked, cleaned, or replaced just about everything. It runs perfect abouve idle and while driving. It throws no codes. I was searching the web for anything and found a guy who stated if the car just stalls and dies with no codes, the neons were notorious for groung solders in the computer getting loose. So, I started the car, whacked the computer with a screwdriver handle and, to my suprise......the car shuddered, gained 500 rpm, cooling fans kicked on then off, and went back to how it was before. I did this 4 more times.....exact response. I think the guy was right.
I just don't know what those 2 letters at the end mean. I deff. don't want a cali. emissions computer.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:44 PM
neisg1
Veteran

Have a look neon pcm ground connection repair.

http://www.techknowman.com/Dodge%20N...dge%20Neon.htm

Old 03-04-2007, 05:10 PM
DurangoDarrin
Rookie

Thanks, Neisg...I might try that while I wait for the other one to get here.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:13 PM
DurangoDarrin
Rookie

Hey all...just in case you ever wondered yourself...as long as the main numbers are the same it will work. The 2 letters at the end are just Dodge's way of telling the revised programming. The higher the letter...the newer the program.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:15 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

so why do you need a PCM for a slight miss? Usually thats the last thing you go for.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:05 AM
DurangoDarrin
Rookie

I've replaced or cleaned all sensors, wires, plugs, fuel pump assy, and no change. I had a diagnostic run on it and he found no sensors out of range. It has a slight miss at idle only, with a very fast surge (2 times a second) only slight surge but, it's there. When you start it if you don't give it a hair press on the gas pedal, it starts, idles at 500 starts to stall then goes up to 900 rpm and idles great for 20 seconds then starts the surging/miss. Another guy on another site said his would surge and stall out with no codes. He pulled the computer apart and found grounds loose on the circuit board. He re soldered them and it fixed it. I guess he said it's common with Dodge. So, while the engine was running, I smacked the computer....it surged high, kicked the cooling fans on/off and idled smooth for 5 seconds. It returned to it's surge/miss. I hit the comp. again and again and got the same response.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 AM
racerx55
Record Breaker

sounds logical, maybe thats why my car shut off after igot *** ended on the race track then restarted after 20 seconds, dies 2 laps later, restarted in the pits and never died since then.
I still cant understand why my cooling fans came on at 120 degrees and run untill it gets to 160 then they go off. then at 225 they come on and cool to 190 like theyre supposed to. So i just hooked up a swtich and relay.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:35 AM
DurangoDarrin
Rookie

Hit e-bay or the local boneyard and pick up another comp. I found one on e-bay for $49.99 with $20.00 shipping. It may help. To bad the Gremelin already was taken or the Neon could have got the name.

Quick Reply: Computer question.