1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Car dies when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 AM
art02gt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Car dies when cold

Now that you mention it, there is a losse sensor under the battery. I could not fint where it goes buy I think it might go to the trans. The sensor has a screw-type end, but couldn't find to what it connects to. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:15 AM
stratman2

Simple things first... If you have a loose sensor on the tranny, it may simply be the back-up light switch... and that's easy to test (use a friends help, or back-up towards a wall or garage door - you should be able to tell if the reverse lights are working by shifting in and out of reverse and watching your mirrors).
(My reverse switch/sensor stopped working on my 5-spd Strat a few years ago... Let's just say I found a way to 'fix' it without paying the dealer for the $40 sensor!)

Old 03-20-2007, 01:22 AM
art02gt
Rookie

ORIGINAL: stratman2

Simple things first... If you have a loose sensor on the tranny, it may simply be the back-up light switch... and that's easy to test (use a friends help, or back-up towards a wall or garage door - you should be able to tell if the reverse lights are working by shifting in and out of reverse and watching your mirrors).
(My reverse switch/sensor stopped working on my 5-spd Strat a few years ago... Let's just say I found a way to 'fix' it without paying the dealer for the $40 sensor!)
I know what you are saying, but do you think this might be what is causing the car to die.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:13 PM
crow01
Rookie

I had the same problem on my 97 DOHC and here's what I did. First, I removed and cleaned the Idle Air Control valve on the side of the throttle body. This valve allows air to go through to the engine when the throttle plate is closed. This was all hogged up, and a little carb cleaner did some wonders. This worked for about a week, and it came back. I then adjusted the throttle cable mechanical stop. Where the spring loaded end of the throttle cable rests when the car is at idle is adjustable from underneath. Using a size T15 torx bit (I believe), it only took about 1/2 turn counterclock-wise to raise the idle about 50-75 rpm. This took care of the problem completely. I don't know if it's the "correct" way to do it, but it's definitely the cost effective way. I hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:15 AM
stratman2

ORIGINAL: stratman2

I know what you are saying, but do you think this might be what is causing the car to die.
[/quote]

Not neccesarily , I'm guessing that your reverse lights are disconnected/non-functional -- if you can prove it, you can dismiss any suspicion that this loose wire is contributing to your problems. (One way or another, I'd try to find out what this wire is for... then we'll know if it's relevant.) -Scott

Quick Reply: Car dies when cold