1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007 | 09:44 PM
superscottiet
Default Wind noise

Hey all, I'm new here, just saying hi first off, and I'm happy to be joining the legions. I used to have a beater 96 sohc, and I had to get rid of it a year ago, because there were just too many repairs, and not enough money...we all know how it goes. Anyways...I just bought a blue/white 98 R/T(grins) and just curious if anyone has any homemade solutions to fixing the wind noise thats so chronic in the doors of these things. The car is in pristine condition, you'd think it was brand new...just a little howl mainly from the front corner of my driver side door...any ideas? Thanks

Scott

Old 03-20-2007 | 10:31 PM
BadBrads97Neon
All Star
Default RE: Wind noise

Hey man welcome to DF first off and secondly I had that same problem. You could check out and see if maybe the weather stripping is going bad. Sometimes its just the wind but other times your weather stripping might just be coming off and you would need to get some new strip from pretty much any auto store..Autozone,etc. Thats what my problem was and I spent like 23 bucks and re-stripped both front windows.

Old 03-20-2007 | 10:36 PM
superscottiet

Thanks for the reply man, I've checked the weather stripping and it looks ok, I think it might actually be with the side mirror, it has a mark on it like it was from a junkyard, I think they may have forgotten the foam that goes in between the door and mirror piece. I think I'll replace the weather stripping anyways though lol. Thanks again

-Scott

Old 03-20-2007 | 10:39 PM
BadBrads97Neon
All Star

I was actually gonna tell you to check the window and see if it had moved around or had slip out of place but I wanted to get the easier thing out there first. aka weather stripping. But yeah if you stripping looks like it needs to be changed anyway I would do it. Mine didnt really, on the drivers door anyway, but I still wanted and thought that I probably would anyway.

Old 03-20-2007 | 11:23 PM
spudsterier
Legend

the problem with most of the neons is that the air will leak through the weather stipping right where the corner of the mirror frame meets the stripping......since there is no window frame its just a common problem

Old 03-21-2007 | 12:40 AM
das2123
Legend

This may help you out...
http://www.myneonspeed.com/howto/how..._windowadj.htm

Old 03-21-2007 | 12:54 AM
BadBrads97Neon
All Star

ORIGINAL: spudsterier

the problem with most of the neons is that the air will leak through the weather stipping right where the corner of the mirror frame meets the stripping......since there is no window frame its just a common problem
yeah the whole not having a window frame does mess with the air getting in

Old 03-21-2007 | 03:19 PM
GeEqNeoN
Rookie

yeah i have the same problem and it doesnt bother me cause when i have my system on loud enough i cant even hear it..but im fixing it soon

Old 03-21-2007 | 03:22 PM
BadBrads97Neon
All Star

ORIGINAL: GeEqNeoN

yeah i have the same problem and it doesnt bother me cause when i have my system on loud enough i cant even hear it..but im fixing it soon

that works too lol

Old 03-21-2007 | 03:50 PM
spudsterier
Legend

my window leaks a little too, but the exhaust is alot louder then the stereo

Quick Reply: Wind noise