1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

High Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 AM
Gunslinger442
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle Issue

Hello all,
I am having a hell of time getting this issue figured out. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a 318. Manual trans. I do have a superchip brand chip on it with a K&N Air Filter and a flow master 44 exhaust system. I Run 87 Octane and have the chip set to economy. I have 256,251 miles as it sits right now. Replaced the motor with a used one at 200,000. This newer motor was said to have 30k on it at the time. The issue I am having. . . .

While running normally I come to intersection. Push in Clutch, let off gas, apply break. Truck decides to Keep idle high. Like 2500-3500. Haven't had it stay above 3500rpm. Not only when I push in Clutch. I've had it happen while driving the interstate I let out on the gas and the truck doesn't decelerate.

Here's what I've done. Replaced all the spark plugs. Found the number 6 plug to be destroyed. Ok no issue their replaced. Next, I replaced all of my vacuum hoses, pc value's, and the throttle positioning sensor. I know I have a rear main seal leak but that's been minimal for the last 50,000 miles. I get a consent check engine light for a P1294 which is a target idle not met. Just today I had a different check engine of P0301 which is a misfire in cylinder one.

Help is greatly appreciated. I live in Western Colorado so if you know a mechanic that knows more then I. I'd be glad to take it too him/her.

Thanks.

RJ

Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong forum gunslinger. This is for 1st gen Rams.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a gummed up IAC sensor (the one on the backside of the TB) and a dirty, gummed up TB. Remove the TB, remove the 3 sensors and using some spray carb cleaner and an old tooth brush, throughly clean the TB, especially the IAC sensor port. Clean the tip of the IAC sensor being very careful not to push or pull on the tip as you could damage it internally. There is a possibility the IAC sensor is too gummed up and will need to be replaced. You'll also need to pickup a new TB gasket.

After cleaning, disconnect the negative battery cable, reinstall the TB, reconnect the battery cable, start the engine letting it idle (DO NOT REV THE ENGINE) and come up to operating temp. Shut off the engine, restart and go for a drive making as many stops as possible, such as stop signs. Doing this will allow the PCM to relearn the part throttle settings.

If this doesn't solve your problem then I would lean more to the possibility that you've got a bad TPS sensor or maybe there's an outside chance you installed it upside down which is very easy to do. The electrical connection should be on the bottom. The parts store you purchased it from should replace it under warranty and give you a new one. Good luck!

Quick Reply: High Idle Issue