1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I fought a rock and the . . . rock won! (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I fought a rock and the . . . rock won! (sort of)

A few months ago, I tried crossing a creek where a bridge had collapsed during hurricane Agnes in 1972. Its called Stitt's Run Road. A trail had developed next to the remains of the bridge. Its a pretty interesting place actually, with the remnants of the bridge, and the trail. I wish I had pictures. The trail had apparently been blazed by people who live on the road and drive 4x4s. The lay of the land was a small drop, a creek, and then a big bank on the other side. Its not so bad on the downhill side, but I was on the side coming up. I know one kid who managed to get his old beater corolla down it before, but its pretty steep, has a severe angle at the bottom and top, and its littered with rocks.

Anyway, I drove into the stream, and starting clawing up the bank, until I ground to a halt on something hard scraping my front end. I just didn't have the ground clearance the 4x4s have. Then I backed down, and noticed a big rock right between my tire tracks. Yeah, I guess I must have been on that. I promptly drove away, and nothing bad happened. I checked out all the front suspension of my truck and everything looked good. I couldn't even find a scrape.

I changed my oil today, and noticed a HUGE dent on the side of my transmission pan. I guess I got off lucky, because the transmission still shifts fine, and I happened to hit something that would bend, not break.

(I know I could have written this in a few sentences, but, I like being overly descriptive, and finding creative ways to explain common situations. Hope I didn't offend anybody by using all the bandwidth. Yes. This is a true story. I'm a writer, not a compulsive liar like that one kid in the 2nd gen section who claimed he had all this stuff, and it turned out he just swiped the pictures from craigslist and google images. No no no. I'm just adorning a true story with useless details for your and my entertainment. I just wanted to share this story, and hope some others will share some "OH $#!&" moments and their results.)

Old 03-02-2011, 08:10 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

lol. you making fun of farmboy too eh.

i dented the fender and bent the bumper on my 91 when i was backing out of one of the shop bays at school. i started turning just a bit to soon but the damage was not too bad. the garage doors just seem so small. i have also scratched my 91 on the phone box that it secured to the hydro thing that is bolted to the house. if the phone box was bolt the wall like it should be i would not have scratched my truck. plus i think i might have scratched my 81 on the phone box but it is hard to tell since the scratch is so light.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:10 AM
DAKOTAJIM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here is my Oh S#*t story. Where i use to work we had a warehouse with big roll down doors like a shop bay. One day i was backing out with my Datsun, wait for it, forklift when this really hot chick that worked there walked past with a tight pair of shorts on that caught my attention. While watching her i failed to notice the boom was still raised and the door was part way down. You can see where this is going, i took out the bottom 1/4 of the door with the boom. When i told my boss it was his fault for hireing such hot chicks he just laughed and said thats what we have insurance for.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:22 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Nice new sig picture wolfie. Jim, I almost expected you to be driving a datsun convertible.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wontacceptthis
Nice new sig picture wolfie.
thanks. i have been playing with MS paint and photo shop lately. it is suprizing what i can do when i'm bored.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 03-03-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:30 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of rocks you should consider yourself lucky. Has anyone else seen the accident pictures of a red car that hit the rock in the middle of the road near Fancy Gap on route 77 here in Va? The rock is bigger than the car.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/s...65167&catid=57

Old 03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Sweet jesus! I guess the rock got ticked off after it only managed a small victory against me.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 PM
82ram150
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well im relativley new here but thought id share one of my oh $h!t stories.

So February of last year i went to my buddies house out in Sandy Oregon. Now he lives out in the middle of the woods down windy steep back roads with hair pin turns and nice drop offs over the rail. Takes about 20 minutes at the least to get there. Anyways he was having a bon fire, only it was me and two of his friends that showed up. so the fire didnt want to stay lit and we were bored as hell so we go into the house and try and think of what we could do. My friend goes to the garage and pulls the box of firecrackers out. Mind you its 11pm. So we walk up the road and start throwing firecrackers in metal mailboxes and stuff. Well we used all of those. So we went back to his house. He pulled a small box off the shelf..... M80's! So we hop in my moms car, here 96 ford taurus that i drove out there. (this is before i had my own car.) And take off. So we were being smart with them. Being a safe distance away when they lit off. Until we see some deer on the side of the road and my friend has a "good idea" i stop the car he rolls the back window down (which only rolls half way down). Sticks his hands out the window, lights the m80, spark his his arm, drops lit mortar inside of car, we start yelling at him to get it out. The guy in the front seat is about to jump out as we are rolling away cuz i let off the brake. He finally got it out and it went off when it hit the ground. There were some nice char marks on the seat:/ My mom was PISSED! but we lived. That was my near death oh $h!t experience. Sorry for the book, i like a well said thought. Hope you enjoyed. lol

Old 03-26-2011, 03:47 AM
psycobilly64
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a story for you. Not really an oh sh$# moment, more of a Why Did I Get Out of Bed moment. When I was 17 I stayed the night at a friend's house and in the morning came out to find the driver's rear tire on my 80 Impala wagon flat. I woke my friend up, went to the junkyard, got a spare and drove home. I'm in the house for about an hour, go to leave and my front driver's tire is flat. I borrowed my mom's 92 cavalier,grabbed my air tank and went to pick up my girlfriend. Got in a fight with her and left. On the way back from her house, I hit a deer with my mom's car and busted the driver's headlight. That shook me up and I forgot to fill my air tank while I was in town. Since we lived between towns, I went on to the next town to fill it and get a can of fix-a-flat. On the way back I got pulled over for that headlight being out! I didn't have my ID or the registration for her car. When I told the cops my age ( I had a full beard), they drug out of the car and did a field sobriety test on me! They finally let me go after calling my mom, and when I got home I tried the fix-a-flat. It didn't work. The cap popped off and was stuck to the valve stem so I couldn't even use the air tank! I called my grandpa and he went and got another spare, brought his jack and put it on and I went to work. I get off work and the d@#n spare is flat! I called him again and he brought the air tank, filled the tire up and I drove home. On the way home, the car started running rough so we took it to the shop. The valves had burnt out! I'd only owned the car a week! I sold it back to the guy I bought it off of for $200 less than I paid him the next day and went bought a Ford!
Sorry for the novel, but that all happened in a 24 hour period and there's no way to shorten it.

Quick Reply: I fought a rock and the . . . rock won! (sort of)