1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Who all has a CB radio in their truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:12 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think anybody has brought it up, so I will:

As a non-CB user, why should I get a CB radio? Should I?

-The area I live in has cell service everywhere, except for in certain valleys, and if you walk out of the valley, you will have service again.

-I live in a small town, with two other towns within 5 miles.

-I don't participate in organized trail running.

-My commute to work is 25 miles, and there is literally no stretch more than 1/4 mile without a house.

-I don't frequently travel on congested roadways with bad traffic to avoid.

-None of my friends use CBs, though one does have one partially hooked up.

Considering these things, would I benefit from a CB? What things would you say to somebody if you were trying to convince them (me) to buy a CB?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Sniper X
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wontacceptthis
I don't think anybody has brought it up, so I will:

As a non-CB user, why should I get a CB radio? Should I?

-The area I live in has cell service everywhere, except for in certain valleys, and if you walk out of the valley, you will have service again.

-I live in a small town, with two other towns within 5 miles.

-I don't participate in organized trail running.

-My commute to work is 25 miles, and there is literally no stretch more than 1/4 mile without a house.

-I don't frequently travel on congested roadways with bad traffic to avoid.

-None of my friends use CBs, though one does have one partially hooked up.

Considering these things, would I benefit from a CB? What things would you say to somebody if you were trying to convince them (me) to buy a CB?
Probably not, unless you consider the ZOMBIE part of the equation. LOL! I am kidding in a sense but the CB works even if all other communications are out like in the event of a power outage that effects cel and land line (cordless phones) . It is also a hobby but reading your situation, unless a few others got "into it" forget it unless you just want to try it out on the cheap and see what happens. One of the greta things about CBs is you can pick up good ones cheap and if you don't like it, sell it for what you paid or more.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Ok. Thanks for the insight. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I can find a decent used one. I'm sure I can pick one up pretty cheap, or know somebody who has one laying around.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Sniper X
Captain

Ok. Thanks for the insight. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I can find a decent used one. I'm sure I can pick one up pretty cheap, or know somebody who has one laying around.
Ask around especially anyone with an antenna on their vehicle that you know. And I suggest Craigs list. I have found nice Cobra 29s on there for as low as 30 dollars and they use to sell used for 75 easy.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:17 PM
wontacceptthis
Record Breaker

Ok, with all this crap about the NSA mining everything you do on digital communications, probably including this post, I'm probably going to get a CB after I get back from vacation, just in case. Lol. Suddenly preppers aren't so crazy looking anymore, eh?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, with all this crap about the NSA mining everything you do on digital communications, probably including this post, I'm probably going to get a CB after I get back from vacation, just in case. Lol. Suddenly preppers aren't so crazy looking anymore, eh?
The real preppers that aren't on the TV aren't crazy, that's the sucky part.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
I want a CB. But can't figure out where to mount it or how to run the antenna wire to where it wouldn't cause a problem.

Off topic...I've got a Uniden Bearcat 800mhz radio scanner at my disposal...that picks up little CB traffic. Is is possible the CB operators have their channels "blocked"?
Nope. scanners actually suck at receiving 10~30MHZ and Cb is in the 11M band. Actually, they suck at receiving anything below 10mhz.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Sniper X
Captain

The Cb and a good 2m/440 ham radio are the best things you can have in case of emergency. The 2m/440 can comm with hand helds you can also get cheap from miles away, and the CB is what it is, a great way to communicate locally and durig conditions, long ranges away.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 PM
fezandpaz

I have one in my '91 D 150, I haven't turned it on in about 10 years!

Quick Reply: Who all has a CB radio in their truck?