1st Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Lift kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 03:55 PM
u2slow
Professional
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
ya i was talking about the rear springs. all trucks only have 1/2" bolts in the rear springs. i know i learned that when replacing rear shackle mounts on my 93 and had to drill out the brackets to accept 5/8" bolts.

i thought the shim usually helps correct the angle of the driveshaft so the pinion is parallel with the transfer case output. i don't think we have ever looked at cv clearancing but it is a auto. the front driveshaft would touch the cross member when installed so had to give it some room so it wouldn't rub.
Weird. All my 73-93 Dodges have 5/8" or 3/4" eye bolts on the rear leafs.

Throwing away your much-needed caster to help the driveshaft is a bad idea. Say goodbye to on-pavement handling. Nevermind the strain it puts on the pumpkin studs. I don't follow how you run into crossmember interference before driveshaft bind. Do you already have a Spicer CV swapped in?

FWIW, Dana 60 front equipped trucks (i.e. all cummins and optional on gas) have at least a 2" head start on lift. Taller spring perches and thicker leafs. Here's what that looks like in a 360 gas ramcharger with 235/85R16s.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the truck seems like it drives and handles fine with the shims and the way things are. there is just enough lift that the front driveshaft had to come out for a bit till springs settled and cross member was clearanced to make sure they didn't hit. stock cv i think
https://ramchargercentral.com/diesel...26/#msg3132826

all the factory stuff was removed to make way for jungle jim parts. someone had readneck add a leaf/lift kit and it showed. the thing rode like a lumber wagon. i don't know if i really see that much of a difference. the tire size you mention is only a hair larger than the factory 31's the ramcharger would have came with. they will fit 33's with a bit of rubbing occasionally

Old 09-03-2019, 06:55 PM
u2slow
Professional
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Likely different with the longer auto setup. You have more lift and suspension droop than my W250.

My '90 shows 235/75R15 tires (29") as stock on the decal. Maybe 31's were optional on certain years.
This thread begins with the 'before' pic. Suspension got at least 3" taller with the diesel diff and leafs. Tires extra again.
https://ramchargercentral.com/projec...50-ramcharger/

Old 09-03-2019, 08:31 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i am pretty sure i saw 31' on the underhood sticker since there was no doorjamb sticker on it. speedo reads off with both 33's and 235/75R15 and it looks a bit funny with the small 29" tires. looks way meaner with 33's. hard to so the a huger difference from just swapping out brackets along with the axle. gaps look very similar just a tiny bit taller tire.

Quick Reply: Lift kits