1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine swap need help!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007 | 10:44 PM
gone_hog_wild
Default engine swap need help!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 83 w150 that had a slant 6 and i swaped it out for a 360. every thing that needs power has power but can not get the coil to produce a spark. I have checked 5 or6 diffrent wiring diagrams and every thing is correct have used about 6 diffrent coils and 2 distributors can not get fire... any help would be very helpful.. thanks.........

Old 08-28-2007 | 09:45 AM
Nofrag
Champion
Default RE: engine swap need help!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a full charge on the battery? You can have enough power to light everything up, but not enough to crank or fire the engine.

Old 08-28-2007 | 10:38 PM
440ram
Professional

when doing an engine swap the elec. part is the most complicatedstep, to help ease the swap I went with an MSD ready to run distributor. It has three wires, one ground, one coil, and the other keyon, thats it, you will have reliably spark every time. These MSD distributors are really acurate too up to 7000rpm i think. I Know they are a little pricy but the simple fact that the are really easy to install and require no other ignition components (such as cdi or ignition relay) . having this dist. really simplified my 440 swap and if i do have an ignition problem it will be easily diagnosed with a hand held voltmeter. Even when my battery was low it still have enough spark to start, look in jegs or summit they may have better prices on them. Good luck and i hope you get it going

Old 08-29-2007 | 03:34 PM
stanz

I assume it cranks, therefore you have enough power to produce spark.

If the coil is properly grounded the simple solution is to just hotwire the coil to the battery. One long wire with two alligator clips and you will have spark if the coil is good.

Oh, are you sure you don't have spark? Have someone crank the engine when you check for spark. I usually stick a screwdriver into a wire and bring the metal part of said screwdriver close to ground. The spark should jump 1/8th" easily. It should be dark enough in the engine bay to see the spark.

The reason I ask this is just in case the distributor is installed 180 degrees out.

Quick Reply: engine swap need help!!!!!!!!!!