1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to Forum 85 D150-4X4

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Dragpipe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum 85 D150-4X4

Hello! Im new to the forum AND to Dodge Ram trucks. I just aquired a 1985 reg cab long bed 4X4 for $1350.00. I feel that I got a good deal. The truck has no rust but only in the bed which is rather beat up. As soon as I can figure out how to post photos I will. The truck has just over 91,000 miles on it and is in ok to good condition for a 22 year old piece (in my opinion). Everything looks stock, other than the radiator looks new, the shocks, exhaust and everything else looks original. Im thinking new shocks and exhaust (its rotted going over the axal) will be the first items to replace. This truck is NOT a daily driver. I got it as a toy and to haul lumber (I do wood working, and haul trach to the dump, I own 5 acres out in the boonies, no city pickup of trash). It has a 318 motor with a 4 speed manual trans. Its a decent looking truck, the prev owner painted it ford tractor blue and it has white rims. Ive only had this truck for 5 days and I already love it.....more than the new GMC full sized 4X4 I bought new in 2003 which I have since sold because it was JUNK. But anyway, Im glad to have found this forum, and please excuse any stupid questions I may ask along the way.

Thanks!
Drag

1985 Dodge Ram 150
2003 Yamaha Road Star
2001 Yamaha Raptor 660
1970 CB750 Chopper (Hard Tail)
2005 Honda Civic Coupe

Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 PM
stanz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to Forum 85 D150-4X4

I had an 85 until last winter, now I have an 86. I replaced the rusted out bed with a fiberglass utility body I bought on ebay. Truck cost $850, body $350. The odometer says 56K but I know it's at least 156K. It's my beater and plow truck. It weighs 6700 pounds and plows through any snow like butter.

Two issues though: it smokes like a fiend, and only gets around 9 miles per gallon. I've decided to replace the engine with a 1992 V6 with multiport fuel injection. The V6 has more horsepower and just slightly less torque, oh and it gets around 17MPG. My goal is 15 MPG, but I'd be happy with 13 or 14.

You might want to verify that it only has 91K miles on it. That sounds really low for an 85. My 85 had 212K before I retired it. It needed new front brakes, a clutch, and other stuff. It was cheaper to replace it with the 86.

I like the beast so much that I decided to go ahead with the engine swap instead of replacing the truck. It should be a real interesting project since I'm going from a 2bbl carb to EFI. Wiring, fuel tank, ECU ...

Quick Reply: New to Forum 85 D150-4X4