1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

78 Power Wagon Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007 | 12:50 AM
NDIrish
Default 78 Power Wagon Rebuild

I have a 78 power wagon 4x4 with a factory 440 engine and a 79 parts truck. The engine needs to be rebuilt. What is the best engine build for the least amount of money? Also is it true that adding a turbo to the motor will make it overheat? Does anybody know of anyissues with the body, frame, drive train, etc. in these years?

Old 09-02-2007 | 08:42 PM
PushnFords
Professional
Default RE: 78 Power Wagon Rebuild

Well, I suppose the mininum cost rebuild would be to have a shop do a stock build with an RV cam. Anything performance after that is going to add up in cost.

If adding a turbo is causing overheating then it wasn't added correctly.

Derek

Old 09-03-2007 | 05:17 PM
NDIrish

I am going build the engine myself andtry to stay under $3000 on the engine rebuild. As far as the turbo, I have read somewhere that the 440s tend to run hot and adding a turbo makes them run hotter and can lead to overheating of the engine.

Old 09-03-2007 | 08:12 PM
440ram
Professional

overheating is probably just from the cooling system being insufiecient. Get a big aluminum radiator, and the car stlye aluminum waterpump housing with a high flow aluminum waterpump. make sur the radiator water inlet is on the drivers side if you get the car stlye pump housing. If it were me i would build the motor NA with 9.5 compression forged pistons, aluminum heads(look up victor jr) and a cam with at least .500 lift and roller rockers,

Or call up 440source.com and they can hook you up with a 500 CUBIC INCH stroker kit for around 1200, then all you need is to get the block machined and through on a set of aluminum heads and see well over 500 foot pounds of torque with no turbo lag

if you have a 727 get it built with the transgo shift kit and big tranny cooler, run the np 205 if possible with 4.10 gears and a dana 60 and that should hold up fine. good luck and let me know how your build goes

Quick Reply: 78 Power Wagon Rebuild