1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Confusing truck Keys????

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Jacob1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confusing truck Keys????

When i bought my truck i received only one key. That key(not the originalkey)only started my truck but would not lock or unlock the doors but would insert in the locks. Well i didn't worry about locking the doors until about a month ago. On thanksgicing day some black guy thought it would be a good idea to steal my radio. But he didn't make out with it. So i started to think about getting a key made to lock the doors, a couple of estimates i got were too high. So i just forgot about it. Well the other day i got a local shopto install some springs and shocks, well i was underneath the front end looking at the shocks he installed and noticed a piece of wire hanging down about 6 inches. While removing it i noticed there was a piece of metal attached inside the bumper. Pulling on it i noticed a key, removing the key i jumped up and noticed it looked like my truck key. I put it in the ignition, started right up. Then tried the doors, locked and unlocked them. My question is why would this key do everything and the other on i got won't? And how could you make a key that would only start the truck and not unlock doors? The ignition and locks aren't worn out because my buddies dakota and uncles fullsize dodge keys won't work in either thing.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Nofrag
Champion
Default RE: Confusing truck Keys????

Easy, the hidden key has not been used and will work like new, the key you had was used all the time and worn down. But if you find yourself in a similar situation again, places like autozone and pepboys sell lock & key kits, so you can just change the locks. But you won't have that problem with this truck because you're probably gonna play it smart and make a copy of the key you just found lol.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Jacob1
Veteran

But i had a new key made for like the one i had but it still wouldn't open doors. And the key i found is totally different then the one i had.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:22 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

If the new one was made from the worn one you just duplicated the worn one.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:49 AM
dodge310

Another thing could be that the previous owner had a key made that didn't work the doors, but worked the switch so they didn't worry about it. Then you got a new key made from the NEw key they had made, so it won't work right either. (I have seen this happen quite a few times)

Quick Reply: Confusing truck Keys????