1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

smog pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008 | 07:33 PM
nemesis_SS
|
All Star
Default smog pump

hey guys.

where i live we have emissions, but i just cant stand knowing ive got this damned smog pump eating power and gas. So, if i just unhook its drive belt (andreattach when i go for emissions) can you seethere being any troubles?all i can think if is that the loss of air in will make the exaust a bit hotter, but hot enough to damage the cat? hmmm...mainly though, im worried about if this will hurt the engine and will i be able to just hook it back onto the belts when needed.

thanks folks.

Old 03-21-2008 | 08:00 PM
moparborn
All Star
Default RE: smog pump

It should not hurt the motor when not used,but it will still open the diverter valve and send exhaust back into the system,I might suggest neutralizing the system to avoid any possible problems or damage.

Old 03-22-2008 | 12:29 AM
nemesis_SS
|
All Star

"neutralizing"?as in removing entirely? taking ourall electrical and the hoses?
i was worried about the diverter valve...maybe i can just plug that area...

i guess what im reallyasking isif anyone knows how tostop the thing from using power without actually pulling it off so i can go for e-tests without too much work...

Old 03-22-2008 | 09:56 AM
1996Ram318
All Star

I remember my dad opening the case on one and removing the guts. But I think that was on a grenanda, so I don`t know if it will work on your truck.

Old 03-22-2008 | 02:28 PM
nemesis_SS
|
All Star

thats a good idea but it would only pass visiual inspection - id have to put all those bits back in - which is the sort of work i was trying to avoid. hmm....

Old 03-23-2008 | 12:35 AM
moparborn
All Star

Just disconnect the wires off of the vacuum switches on the left valve cover.

Old 03-23-2008 | 12:43 PM
nemesis_SS
|
All Star

ok so heres the plan:

take the belt off
disconnect the wires

andthat should be it

Old 03-23-2008 | 06:08 PM
nemesis_SS
|
All Star

pulled off the belt and unplugges the wires this morning. filled the gastank and reset the trip odometer.if anyones interested about what this does to mileage ill report anychange from mynormal 350-370 km, all city(~225 miles).
Because the air pump shuts off at WOT and high speed i dont know if itd do anythingfor highway. And i THINK i may feel a bit more sack when just crusin up to speed. hard to be sure though.

Old 04-02-2008 | 11:34 PM
nemesis_SS
|
All Star

Results are in....and it looks good!

so i got 395 km out of this tank and i wasnt being ultra conservative with gas- and improvement of 20 over my best 50 over my worst...

thats .7 to 1.3 mpg. so lets call the smog pump delete a 1 mpg increase untill the next tank.

PS id like to withdraw my previous statement that the air pump "Shuts off" at high speed. it still runs, which means its still sucking juice, but it dumps the air before the cat.

im going to run another tank and see if thechange stays. Then im going to add a performance ignition coil andwires, run two tanks, check MPG change, and move onto the next part. itll be little series over the summer

Old 04-16-2008 | 10:19 PM
nemesis_SS
|
All Star

ok added an Accell ignition coil. ran two tanks of gas and both added about 20 KMmore thanwith stock coil- about .25to .5mpg.
However, weve gone from below freezing to nice warm weather over these past 3 weeks which might be responsible for the improvement. I dont warm my car though...

So does aperformance ignition coild add mpg? certrainly doest hurt for 50 bucks. i bet a nice MSD or Mallory 50,000+ volt would work but they are like 80$ here in canada and the Accel was 50...

Quick Reply: smog pump