1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Test fitted front sheet metal

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008 | 05:41 PM
1996Ram318
|
All Star
Default Test fitted front sheet metal

I did the first test fit on my front end today. She`s looking more like a truck, just a four colored one. I discovered that my "repair" on the cab where it was damaged was a little off. My mounting holes were a little out of line, too far foward, and a little low. I think I can fix it by the end of the weekend though. At any rate, it was a big boost for moral.

Old 04-04-2008 | 07:37 PM
lugnuts
All Star
Default RE: Test fitted front sheet metal

Again my apologies for the freight. I hope the parts were worth the cost. Don't savvy howthe companyI work for can ship 320lbs to Houston for 84 bucks,yet it's that high for everyday Joe to ship anything. If FedEx can turn a profit at 84 bucks,they are screwin the hell outta the general public.Did you make 'em weigh it ?
Are you happy with the shape the stuff was in? I tried to send the straightest stuff I had.

Old 04-04-2008 | 08:01 PM
1996Ram318
|
All Star

Those panel were straighter than most of my truck. They didn`t weigh it, but the forklift operator that loaded it into my truck said there was no way that weight 300lbs. But I am more than happy with the parts, and I really appreciate it. I figured out that dad`s phone won`t email pictures because of his plan, so I`ll get some pictures up as soon as I get them. The right fender sits about an inch out to the side, and about a half inch foward because of my repairs, but I can fix that tomorrow I think. I might just have to do some "afro-american engineering" if you get my drift.

Old 04-04-2008 | 08:48 PM
lugnuts
All Star

Well I'm glad your happy with 'em. The grille isn't perfect,but maybe you can run across a better one one of these days. Wish I had a decent radiator,butwith the price of freight, you could buy a new one and come out ahead. Still aggravatedwith those robbin' bastards.
Well anyway, your more than welcome,maybe me an' the wife will get down thataway again before too long.We'll eatsome mudbugs or catfish,make up a few lies an' tell 'em. [The truth wouldn't be beleivable] With any luck,maybe do a little wheelin' in your truck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 04-04-2008 | 09:04 PM
1996Ram318
|
All Star

One of these days when shes runnin` again, maybe you can bring that Ramcharger and we`ll sink both of them in a nice mudhole I know. This one is one you want someone there to pull you out of. Not to mention the secong weekend in Aug is the 11th street cruise in Beaumont. Biggest car event in Tx for the last several years, whole lot of fun. That hotrod of yours would be a hit, there just ain`t many Dodges in the events around here, especially not trucks. Check out www.thebeaumontcruise.com The one in Silsbee in Sept has a burnout box. The third Sat of every month they have a car show at the Weinershnitzle in Orange. And you want to talk about making up some lies, them good ol` boys at these shows do plenty of it.

And I looked at that Fed-ex receipt, the actual charge was only $340, the other $70 was a fuel surcharge they added on.

Old 04-04-2008 | 09:19 PM
lugnuts
All Star

What!? Pull my Ramcharger out!?Might have to dragthat 'ol rag of yours out,hell if my junk sinks,we'll just cover it up an' leave it. And 'ol Greeny would still be cheaper to ship FedEx than 9mpg @ 3.65 gallon for super. Sounds like a good time though.

Old 04-05-2008 | 12:15 AM
nemesis_SS
All Star

soudsn like your doing a lot of work. it woulda been nice to see some pics of your roofwork. always a pleasure to see how other poeple do stuff. Always something neat to learn.

Old 04-05-2008 | 09:59 AM
1996Ram318
|
All Star

As soon as I can I will put some pictures up. Thankfully no roof work was needed, that was about the only part undamaged. Everything from the cowl foward was pretty well beat to hell though.

And I bet when I`m done I could drag your rig behind my truck. Mine would probably sink faster, but I could out pull yours.

Old 04-05-2008 | 04:26 PM
1996Ram318
|
All Star

I just spent four and a half hours pulling, testing, adjusting, modifying, cutting, beating and rechecking. At the end of it, it still seems like the whole front end turns down at the end. I really can`t tell why, it looks like everything should line up. I`m starting to wonder if that cab is too tweaked to save, but I don`t want to give up on it yet. I reallly thought about lifting the core support a little to shift it all back, but that seems a little extreme. I`m open to ideas. Even bad ones.

Old 04-05-2008 | 06:45 PM
lugnuts
All Star

With the left/right fender/door gaps even are the fenders level at the across the front?Doors both open/close,even gaps? If so,how much too low is the core sppt? Any difference in the bushings 2wd/4wd?On the right side, hooked a tape on the drip rail above the windsheild,measured to the center of the rivet that holds the core sppt crossmember. Got 76 3/4'.That's on the 88 2wd. Considering where it's crunched,you'd think it'd be too high at the front if anything,since the cab took shot right at the firewall.

Drag my Ramcharger!?Ain't no way. Been consideringa Titan rocket engine bolted to the roof. Ya know, for those really steep sandhills.Useit like nitrous. On the other hand, gears and lockers would be somewhat quieter. Well, when ya get done,bring a chain,lotsa spare parts. I'll pull ya backwardsup a sandhill or two.[X(]

Quick Reply: Test fitted front sheet metal