1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just bought a 86 D150 5.9 and have some (carb) questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:14 PM
NAR-D150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 86 D150 5.9 and have some (carb) questions

ok just got it yesterday, and i have some questions for ya guys. sorry i dont know anything about cars but i do work at a motorcycle shop specifically on harley's and when you change anything with the exhaust you have to rejet, is it the same if i put straights on the truck that i would have to rejet it? and also if i change the air filter (rejet)? and i am not familiar with carbs on cars but would it make a difference if i put an aftermarket carb (holley/edelbrock) on it (is there a benefit to it?)? and is there any site that is good to get parts from for these older trucks because i need little bits and pieces? thanks so much for all of your help

Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Fnix
Rookie

Hi, nice truck I have the same year.

Never heard anything about "rejet". I run straight pipe on my truck and didnt have to do anything to it afterwards.

Aftermarket carb will do a difference depending on engine size. A large CFM will do little good on a small engine compared to a larger one. In other words, dont over do it with size.

I prefer www.summitracing.com and www.jegs.com for my parts

Old 10-25-2008, 03:50 PM
NAR-D150
Default forgot to mention an issue with it smoking/ burning oil...

i noticed it smokes more than just a little but not pure smoke coming out, is there an easy fix? possibly slipping some rings on or would i have to re-bore and up the piston size? thanks

Old 10-25-2008, 03:50 PM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not need to rejet with those changes,but the factory carb is built more for economy,going to a eddy or holley can give you more performance and a little tuning will help as well,a 650 - but no more than a 750 will work good.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:37 AM
Chump
Captain

Originally Posted by NAR-D150
ok just got it yesterday, and i have some questions for ya guys. sorry i dont know anything about cars but i do work at a motorcycle shop specifically on harley's and when you change anything with the exhaust you have to rejet, is it the same if i put straights on the truck that i would have to rejet it? and also if i change the air filter (rejet)? and i am not familiar with carbs on cars but would it make a difference if i put an aftermarket carb (holley/edelbrock) on it (is there a benefit to it?)? and is there any site that is good to get parts from for these older trucks because i need little bits and pieces? thanks so much for all of your help

Does that have a factory 4bbl on it?

Most normally re-jetting is not necessary. The best thing is to "read" the spark plugs. If they are white or starting to melt it's too lean....if they get black it's too rich. Before going on any great parts replacement get the engine to factory spec with the factory recommended plugs. (No nuclear grade tri-titanium Autozone plugs) Do a compression check wet and dry. When you are satisfied the engine is up to snuff then make "1" change at a time and evaluate the results of that change...make necessary adjustments and procede to the next modification Trust me, you'll lose a lot less hair doing it this way.
As for little parts, if they are Dodge specific then you need to try the forums online, me Ebay, etc. I have factory parts books from 1969-2003. I can probably steer you in the right direction. www.car-parts.com www.rockauto.com

Old 11-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Charles Gajewski

As far as carb goes, if staying with stock carb, re-jetting necessary with headers. You probably have a computer-controlled carb so that may cause issues. Somebody out there may know what you can and can't get away with on a computer deal.
Oil-burning, on my '84 318 it would smoke when idling and first start-up. Valve seals were the culprit, sucking oil down the valves at high vacuum. Oil level would not change much but it would REALLY smoke if idling for a long period.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:27 PM
moparborn
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your carb is hooked to your computer it is more of a feedback carb,you can replace it with a basic carb without a problem,I ran Eddys in that situation with very good results and more tunability.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 86 D150 5.9 and have some (carb) questions