1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

w100 steering joint help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:12 PM
bruno426
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default w100 steering joint help

Hey guys got a question for you all. I have a 1976 w100 ram 4x4. It is in the process of recieving a different cab. The steering on this truck has always been afully loose. So while I had the fenders and hood off I decided to look at the steering and find the source of the problem. When I looked at the joint on the steering shaft in the engine bay, I notied that It wasnt one I had delt with before. This one has like a housing over the joint, and inside the housing is like a u-joint with instead of reound ends they are square. I have been all over hells half acre trying to find one of these. as that joint alone is extremley loose, and accounting for most of the steering loosness.

My question is This what it the term for the u-joint like joint on the steering shaft coming from the steering wheel and going to the gear box. It is in the engine compartment, just below the master brake reservoir if I remember correctly. I have looked online trying to find this part, but to no avail. autozone oreillys and advanced all say that they have nothing like this.

Where can I get one?

Hey thanks guys.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 PM
1996Ram318
All Star

I don`t think that was stock, sounds like somebody`s idea of custom work.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:09 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

It is called a coupler I believe. Dealer should have it. Last time I worked on mine I replaced the housing also. I did drill a hole at the bottom and put a grease fitting in it. No problem for the last five years.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:57 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont want to thread hijack here, but is everyone else power steering really loud on these trucks?

Old 11-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Charles Gajewski

My '84 has a "rag" joint where you are describing. The joint at the end of the shaft to the steering box is usually a problem. Rebuilt mine several times and would last a short time. Replaced with a Borgesen shaft with a U-joint coupler at the steering box with great success. I have a friend with a '77, he has a "rag" joint and coupler as mine did.

Quick Reply: w100 steering joint help