1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn signal and brake lights out

Old 06-20-2009, 08:24 AM
arcadiainc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal and brake lights out

Problems with my 1991 Ram 250 360 gas burner. The brake and turn signal lights went out. Checked the fuses, all seems well. I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:29 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

I would suspect the turn signal switch.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:10 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake lights are fed straight from the battery thru a fusible link to fuse #5 and then thru the brake switch to the bulbs. Turn signals are fed thru a different fusible link then thru the ignition switch then thru fuse #9 then thru the flasher then the turn signal switch then to the bulbs. Fuse #5 also supplies the key-in buzzer. Does the buzzer work? Are all turn signals out or just the rear turn signals? Do the 4 way flashers work? Do you have power to fuses#5 & #9 inside the fuse box? The only points these two systems have in common are the power lead straight off the battery, the bulbs, and the ground connections. I can only help more if I have more info.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:20 PM
arcadiainc
Default 1991 Dodge Ram 250

Checked the fuses again this morning. Everything started working. Congradulated myself, went inside. An hour later nothing works. No, the four way flashers do not work. Obviously a raw or loose wire. Am a very poor mechanic. We needed the truck this week end. I was hoping for a quick fix. Guess it is off to the mechanic Monday morning. However I am going to continue my efforts. Thank you for you help. There is a possibility I can get it right. Your explanation is very clear and helpful.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:00 PM
SEAL
Champion

The 4 way flashers are a totally separate circuit that goes thru fuse #3 then the flasher then thru the column switch then the bulbs. Again if it is front and back it is the battery supply or a ground. If you have power at the fuses when it is not working then it is a ground problem.If there is no power at fuses 3,5,& 9 then it is up very close to the battery before the power splits off into the 3 different fusible links.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Twitchr
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Run a grounding wire from your bed to your frame. 20 bucks says that it.

And you owe me a beer

Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 AM
SEAL
Champion

The part that does not point to a bad bed ground is that the front lights ( from what I am hearing) do not work either and they use a separate ground from the rear. The front lights share a ground with the head lights. Do the head lights work? If the head lights work it sends me once again to the power supply. I am not saying there may not be bad grounds but a check for power to the fuses will tell the tale.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 AM
arcadiainc

The problem has once again gone away. The head lights worked when the turn signals and brake lights were out. Just fustrating. Now I am hesitant to use the truck. Am afraid I will get in traffic and the problem will occur again.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Twitchr
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It will go in and out as it loses the ground with your frame. Your safest bet is to run a ground strap from bed to frame. I just had this problem with my s-10 2 weeks ago.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:14 PM
arcadiainc
Default Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the imput. I did several things at once so I am not sure specifically what cured the problem. I suspect a bad ground.
Again, thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn signal and brake lights out