1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine or tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:11 PM
67Fargo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine or tranny?

I recently purchased a 1988 Dodge Power Ram with a 318 automatic for $900 cdn. The truck itself is in good shape, with very minor rust in a couple places. It only has 112000kms on it but its last owner used it around the farm for a tow vechile. It had a 5th wheel hitch in the back at one time so some heavy loads were probably hauled.

My problem is when I put the truck in D and put my foot down it bogs for awhile. In a way it sounds like its starting in a higher gear, but I am able to count all three gears. The truck doesnt seem to have any low end *****. I just hope it is something minor. Could it be the engine or the tranny? How hard is the tranny to rebuild? What tranny do I have? Thanks in advance...

Old 06-21-2009, 03:36 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No disrespect intended here but if you have to ask how hard it is to rebuild an auto tranny do not attempt it yourself. They are very complicated and you need special tools. These trucks are not known for their get up and go. With that said, you have no way of knowing what the last guy did to the truck. Does it rev up OK when not in gear? Is it injected or carb? When was its last tune up? I would tune it up for starters. The trannys in these trucks are pretty solid. Look on the flat spot just above the pan on the tranny on the drivers side for the identification numbers. You will find 3 sets of numbers there and the last set are the ones you want.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:14 PM
nemesis_SS
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes mine does the same thing. i hit the pedal and for a couple seconds the engine just winds down and has no power. best of luck finding out why it does this because ive checked or changed EVERYTHING on the engine side. Im going to take it to a tranny shop to see what they say.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:30 PM
67Fargo

The truck revs fine while not in gear. It is fuel injected and has had a tune up last spring, new plugs/wires, distrubuter. It doesnt seem to have enough power to spin the tires on a gravel road....even if I put it down to first.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:48 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine won't either. I know a 34 year mopar dealership mechanic that has a truck that is the twin of mine. He rebuilds trannys and engines at the dealership and his truck has no more guts than mine. When I met him and we talked for a while I gave up looking for more than these trucks have to give. Mine pushes snow and hauls heavy loads regularly but you just have what you have.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you checked the timing? if your timing is not set right you can lose some power.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 AM
newtcopa
Default same here

I have a 1982 d150, 318 auto, will run 75mph all day long and runs smooth after the first 3 minutes in the morning, but I cant beat a riding lawnmower off the line. I just quit worrying about it. It is what it is.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:11 AM
SPARTANENGINEER1701
Professional

TBI RIGHT , I WOULD BET THAT IS WERE THE ISSUE IS,
THEY ARE NOTED TO BE A PAIN ,I CAN VERIFY THAT ,V6 SAME YEAR
TERRABLE TBI,
HAYNES MANUAL HAS A WHOLE SECTION ON THAT ISSUE

ME ,TRY A ELDRABROCK INTAKE AND 650 CFM WITH ELE CHOKE.
I MIGHT TRY TO MAKE A PDF file from that book if so requested

good luck

Quick Reply: Engine or tranny?