1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wont start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:52 PM
travisc1963
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start when hot

1987 Power Ram, 318, 4 speed, 4x4, 145000 miles. I sure could use some help from the experts and or mechanics on this forum. I have looked on the internet for answers but the answers that I found were too vague or different vehicles. So, I came here for the right answer. My truck starts great when motor is cold, idles very good, runs good. When it gets hot (30 to 40 min.) and I shut it off, it does not want to restart. It turns over fine, but it takes 4-6 seconds to start, almost too long to keep turning over the starter. Again, it starts instantly when cold. I use it as my work truck in a small lawn service (perfect truck for it) but now I am starting to fear it wont start at all after one of my yards, and I will be stranded. Any of you guys dealt with this, or mechanics have any advice to fix. I sure appreciate any help. Travis.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:50 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by travisc1963
It turns over fine, but it takes 4-6 seconds to start, almost too long to keep turning over the starter.
Actually you can crank the starter longer but I would not want to go longer than 12 Secs, But do you hold down the gas any while cranking after its warm, because at least in my 87 Dakota's manual it says that i should hold the gas down just a little bit while cranking at the same time, which i allways do after its warmed up and when it fires it shoots up to what ever RPM's it would run at for that amount of pressure and mine can also start if i dont push it down any but like you said, it takes longer for it to fire
so just try holding the gas pedal down a little bit while cranking then let off after it fires up

Old 07-04-2009, 10:51 AM
travisc1963

Thanks, Zack. I am putting on a new fuel pump and filter today, then I will try it then. Travis.

Quick Reply: wont start when hot