1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition problems, I think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 05:32 AM
D150miser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problems, I think?

Hello all, new to this site. I have a problem I was hoping someone may be able to help me with. About six months ago I purchased a 1982 D150 miser with 85,000 miles, it has a 225 slant six with a 1 bbl carburetor attached to a 3 speed manual with overdrive. It has an "electronic spark control system" consisting of a spark control computer and a dual pick-up distributor and of course various sensors, etc. Before I bought it this truck had been sitting for about a year because the clutch was out. It did run rough when I bought it, but especially when first starting it. as time went by it progressiffly became worse. It seemed to be missing in cylinder number six, also at certain higher rpm's, (but not full throttle), it ran very smooth. When I checked the plugs all seemed normal except number six, it was cold fouling. I thought the problem might be ignition wires but number six was getting spark. I checked the resistance on this plug and it was within spec however, a couple of the others had higher than normal resistance. I decided to replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Although it ran a little smoother this didn't seem to help much. This truck doesn't blow any smoke when started but the exhaust smells of, if I were to guess, unburned fuel. Last week when I would turn into a parking spot and stop it started stalling but would start right back up and idle fine. A couple days ago within about six miles the situation got worse. when ever I would let off the gas the engine would stall and the fuel would fire in the exhaust. as long as I pressed the pedal at least half way it would go. At this point it will not idle. This truck was garage kept, completely original and has not been altered in any way. I know I've run on a bit but I wanted to give as much information as I could. Thanks for your time, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:50 AM
SPARTANENGINEER1701
Professional
Default I have a 84 same

waste deleted

Last edited by SPARTANENGINEER1701; 07-23-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: waste deleted
Old 07-03-2009, 10:27 PM
D150miser
Default Just as I suspected...

Thanks for the input, I suspected as much. I'm going to do a bit more research and I'll get back to you on my course of action.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you checked the fuel filter. if it has been sitting too long there might be some bad gas going throught the system.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:57 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read anything about the timing. Have you set it to specs? Did you set the air gap on the pick-up coils in the distributer? Both of the coils have different specs. The start coil is .006 inch and the run coil is .012 inch. The run coil should be adjusted first and can be identified by its smaller electrical connector. You must use a non magnetic feeler gauge to set these pick-up coils.

Last edited by SEAL; 07-11-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 PM
D150miser
Default LeanBurn junked!

Yeah, I had put a fuel filter in soon after I purchased it. It seemed like it was starving for fuel. I didn't put too much effort into fine tunning the lean burn system. From everything I had read about this system it was designed to last about 20 years also there was a concern about reliability of this system. I didn't want to be working on it all the time. No one really had anything good to say about it. I decided to go with the electronic ignition. Picked up the dist., ECU and ballist resister at the local Autozone for around $75., picked up the ECU harness from mopar for $20. I was able to reuse the wires from the original harness just needed to run a new wire from the resister to the coil. Dialed in the carb. set the timing and now the truck runs better than it ever has.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:48 AM
SPARTANENGINEER1701
Professional
Default that was cheap wow

waste deleted

Last edited by SPARTANENGINEER1701; 07-23-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: waste deleted

Quick Reply: Ignition problems, I think?