1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

92 Dodge diesel overdrive cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 AM
fastrick88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Dodge diesel overdrive cuts out

my 92 Dodge 250 diesel automatic will be driving good at highway speeds and the overdrive will cut in and out in a irregular manner it will work as it should for a couple of hundred miles at times and then other times will be erratic the sppedomeeter will also cut in and out erratticaly causing the cruise control to drop out where should I being to look for this problem any help appreciated thanks

Old 08-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Hemiman06

Hey I was just wondering if you had found your problem yet? I have a 91 that I just bought and the overdrive doesn't work at all, neither does the speedo or the cruise. I'm hopeing that it is an electrical problem and not something in the transmission its self. But I'm going to start into it this week sometime, so i'll be sure to post if I find anything.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:32 PM
fastrick88

thanks keep us posted I thought I had seen a repair kit sold on ebay a couple of years back that would lock the overdrive in full time when you turned it on but I have been unable to find out any thing about it now

Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 PM
racer9
Veteran
Wink

Couple possibilities. TPS, Speed sensor, TV (kickdown) cable. You could also post in the diesel section.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Ontario Boy
Default No overdrive

Latter half of 92 and al 93's had an electronic speedometer. Without the speedometer working transmission will not kick in to overdrive. I also have a 93 and had posted as Ontario Country Boy. Have spent a pile of money trying to resolve this, so any help would be appreciated. I tried a PCM from a gas job and speedometer started working instantly so knew wiring was good. Replaced PCM for the diesel as knew the one was bad. Nothing. & hours later at the dealers and Chrysler told mechanic who thought PCM was defective to replace Crankshaft Speed Sensor. Another $200. and still no speedo. Findings of the mechanic,..... Could get Speedo to work and hence overdrive by taking Temperature sensor wife off. Could also get speedo to work if he shifted to neutral, shut truck off and turned key back on. So I replaced the ignition switch.
My findings: Speedo works intermittantly and then have overdrive. Some times speedo will start working if, it has been driven for 20 minutes and then shut off and started again. Suspect temperature sensor in the tranny line.
Seeing putting truck in nuetral and shutting off and turning key back on makes speedometer work, am going to investigate neutral sense circuit next. Anyone else have any ideas? I bought truck used, only has about 350,000 kms on it. Thanks Hope this information helps someone.

Last edited by Ontario Boy; 08-08-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the TPS to me. Common problem on these, normally they go bad but on my friends truck it just needed an adjustment. There's instructions if you search around on how to check the the voltage with a DVOM and what it should be.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Ontario Boy
Default No overdrive

All voltages have been checked and all is good there. Need information on neutral sense circuit, Seeing as when truck is on the road and I put it into neutral, shut it off and turn key back on, speedometer works going to investigate this further myself.

Quick Reply: 92 Dodge diesel overdrive cuts out