1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need part: Alternator wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:35 PM
bforty
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need part: Alternator wiring harness

Any ideas where to find one? Any online stores carry them? This is the wiring harness that connects to the alternator. One of the connections broke off and soldering is not my perfect solution. Any tips appreciated.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 PM
lilredex
Rookie

Time to practice??? Get everything clean, get the right heat and use rosin core solder..........practice, practice,practice. A lifelong skill you need.

You could also use those crimp on connectors, although they are in my bag of last resort. Under the hood they corrode and cause problems down the road.

Last edited by lilredex; 08-27-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:04 PM
bforty
Amateur

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. Soldering is usually not my prefered solution, but it will have to do.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:45 AM
lilredex
Rookie

Here's a little practice exercise........take a soup or bean can and open it out flat. Clean it really well then practice soldering "dots" on it, about 1/4" in dia. When they look smooth and bright, move on to "tinning" short lengths of stranded wire ends. When they look good, take those ends and solder them on to your "dots". This will allow you to see how much heat and where it is needed to make good mechanical and electrical joints. Everything should look bright. If it looks dull.....not enough heat. Practice, practice, practice.........just like a lot of other things.

Quick Reply: Need part: Alternator wiring harness