1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Am i getting shafted from mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:58 PM
tooltime
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seal years ago i worked at a tire store.they would buy the parts and then add on to the part.so it is cheaper to buy them yourself.i had to get a drag link/center link for my truck and if i let the shop do that who knows how much it would be.in town it was $85.00 to $200.00.i ordered it online for $30.00 and other parts so it was cheaper

Old 08-22-2009, 01:43 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

my friend can get me part throught the local auto shop for half price compared to to the auto parts store.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:35 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Granted the parts are cheaper if you buy them. (just as the eggs and bacon are) If you want to save money then buy the parts and do the work yourself. When you remove that parts markup they will just charge more for labor. To run a business you must make a profit or you will go out of business. You can earn a modest living running a small honest repair shop but I have never met anyone that got rich doing it.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:16 PM
tooltime
Veteran

what i needed was centerlink,2 motor mounts,trans mount,front brake pads,rotors turned,2 wheel studs,wheel bearings and a caliper(1),and exhaust pipe from the muffler back.the labor was $160.00,the caliper was a reman was $15.00 cant remember about the bearings.the other was about $85.00.i feel like i came out very good.other shops said about $300.00 or more for this work.the shop that did it also used his car dolly to take my truck in.the wheel bearings came out and that caliper locked up

Old 08-27-2009, 03:59 AM
zogg

Having worked in many repair shops over the years, we would almost never install customer supplied parts. Of course there is the issue of making money on the parts (we were in business to make money, not do charity work). The bigger issue is part failure...since we installed it we are legally responsible if it should fail and cause and accident....I know several shops that have been sued and lost.

Most times, we bought parts only from NAPA or the dealer, to get the better quality stuff. Autozone parts are ok, but I would not put them on my truck...just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Am i getting shafted from mechanic?