1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need a sway bar.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:51 AM
RAVRAM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a sway bar.

the sway bar and it's mounts are MISSING from my 83 Ram. (150)

anyplace you guys go for stuff like that with decent prices? doesn't have to be new, just complete.

Drove er home last night. definately needs some work, but she drives.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RAVRAM
the sway bar and it's mounts are MISSING from my 83 Ram. (150)
sway bar? i don't remeber these things having a sway bar. if you feel like you need a sway bar you may have some more problems.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 PM
RAVRAM
Rookie

the collision estimate book I'm looking at in class shows a sway bar..., and the thing sure leans a lot in corners...maybe I need some better springs?

for what it's worth, my ram is a 2wd, not 4. I imagine the 4wd's had what..front leafs?

is 53 bucks the cheapest I'm gonna find some rotors too?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:08 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i don't remeber seeing a sway bar under my dodge and i have spent alot of time under it. i use rock auto as a picture guide to locate parts on vehicles sometime and no sway bar showed up when i searched for it for your truck. 53 bucks is average price for rotors. i did a complete brakejob on my truck for $600.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 08-27-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:47 PM
heritagecon

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been seeing this post and like a nut ignored it let me tell you about that darn sway bar. the sway bar goes from the lower control arm (strut Rod) around the front of the truck to the same place in the opposite side. they are connected to the frame at the front of the truck by bushing and hardware the pics of this are hard to copy and paste but maybe Please select a corresponding number from the illustration below to view the details of that part.1) Stabilizer shaft2) Bushing kit Outer3) Stabilizer shaft Inner bushing4) Bracket To frame Upper Right5) Bracket To frame Lower6) Stabilizer shaft LinkDescriptionYearMSRP PriceCore PriceYour PriceLink - 2wd - 2wd
91-93 $46.20 $35.18
moparpartsamerica.com is the only place that I could find the pic and the parts maybe obsolete I have had a hard time trying to find any of the front end stuff that I really need. I bought my truck from a guy that hit a fire hydrant $350 and have almost brought back to life OH!!!!!!!!!! the bar shaft was $79 thoought u might want to know that make sure that it is in stock.

Last edited by heritagecon; 08-27-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
heritagecon

CHECK THIS OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"lifting and finishing the dodge" type that in the search box on this website and you should be able to see all of my thread sorry no pics but this will give an idea of what I have don eto my truck and remember mine is not high performance I hope that I helped a little.

Last edited by heritagecon; 08-27-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

this is what under your truck probably looks like

look no stabalizer bar! it is not needed if its not there. i know there is not one on my truck. they are more common on cars and 4x4's

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 08-27-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:36 PM
RAVRAM
Rookie

yep that's exactly what it looks like.

good to know I don't really "need" it.

Going to do the front brakes, wiper motor, tranny and diff fluid this week. Should be fun. Then I'm going to drive the **** out of her.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 AM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stabilizer bars were used on some first gens both 4wd and 2wd. If you do not have one it is probably because the springs are sized so that you do not need one. You can add one if you want to. The way that the stabilizer on the 2wd is attached shows that it was an after thought and not a proper design. It uses adapters as attachment points on all 4 points. The attachment points on the 4wd (when used) are designed and manufactured to be there from the factory.

Quick Reply: Need a sway bar.