1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:38 AM
seastway
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine tranny swap

I have a 1988 w100 318tbi that has bad engine (head gasket) and bad transmission(no reverse) but body is in excellent shape. I have found a 1986 2wd 318 carbed. Is this basically a bolt in swap or will I have problems because of the 2wd to 4wd. Also should i stay with tbi or keep the new engine carbed. Appreciate any suggestions.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:33 PM
SEAL
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2wd & 4wd trannys are different and I am not sure if swapping out the tail section and output shafts is possible. Call a tranny shop or a salvage yard to see if that is possible. If you are talking about keeping the 1988 you will need the TBI with intake to meet emissions requirements. (if that is necessary where you live) If you decide to go with carb you will need the complete ignition system from the 86. I would stay with the TBI myself due to this administrations green stance. They are trying to get or trucks off the road anyway so no use giving them a reason to scrap your truck.

Quick Reply: engine tranny swap