1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What Did You Do To Your RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:23 AM
Dorothy250
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed new Water Pump and steam cleaned engine since everything was taken off the block.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Rudebaker
Rookie

Finally got my electric choke and fast idle straightened out, whoever converted the Holley from manual to electric choke had no clue what they were doing and had the linkage mangled. Once I had that working correctly I went after the non-functioning horn. I determined it had a dead short somewhere, 4 hours later I found that whoever had butchered the radio wiring had spliced the horn ground wire from the fuse block into the power wire for the cigarette lighter. It was obviously the same genius that installed the electric choke. I need to yank the dash bezel back off and see what else he may have done before the truck catches fire.

I then pulled the LH tail light lense to change a backup light bulb and discovered the tail light and backup light sockets are almost completely rusted away. I cannot believe the tail and brake lights even work! Found replacement tail light sockets online but the didn't have the backup light sockets. Heading for the junkyard in the AM to check the sockets on the W250 I got the tailgate from.

I have been doing a lot of tuning on the carb and choke so I have been starting, idling and revving the engine a LOT but I can already see a significant improvement in mileage. If I make it through tomorrow without having the fast idle hanging up then I'll fill it up and try for maximum mileage on the next tank. I'll post the numbers from this tank just to see what the improvement was even with all the idling and revving.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudebaker
I then pulled the LH tail light lense to change a backup light bulb and discovered the tail light and backup light sockets are almost completely rusted away. I cannot believe the tail and brake lights even work! Found replacement tail light sockets online but the didn't have the backup light sockets. Heading for the junkyard in the AM to check the sockets on the W250 I got the tailgate from.
this seem to be a very common problem. i replaced 1 and istalled the other(someone removed the backup light and did not replace it) of mine a couple of months ago. i used the turn signal sockets from the front. wise idea is to grease them.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 11-08-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:52 AM
tooltime
Veteran

Has anyone had problems with the lic plate lights? Mine dont work at all after i put new bulbs in.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:04 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

try unplugging them behind the bumper and test the wires for power.
there should be a plug similar to this hooked up to the licplate lights.

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 11-09-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:57 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i finally got my bigger tires and rims back on my truck after they spent 6 months on my dads ford. i still have to find a place to store my smaller tires and rims. man am i soar. i changed 8 tires today and i mounted 4 tires on rims yesterday for my dads ford.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Rudebaker
Rookie

Looks like I finally got the fast idle problem licked. Got 9.5 MPG on this last tank, which was mostly short trips, idling and revving the engine while working on the choke and fast idle so that knocked some off, of course dragging around 500 Lbs. of winter ballast doesn't help either. Not great mileage but still a 21% improvement over the previous tank. I'm going to try to limit this next tank to highway driving. Since this isn't my daily driver that should be easy to do.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 AM
Ironmower
Professional

Workin' it hard, it's firewood season! It will be gettin sum new shoes in a couple of weeks.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:15 PM
tooltime
Veteran

I got a used tire for it but i have to have it put on. It has rained for a whole day now and my pass door and i opled it up to drain it. Some of the water is coming from the bottom of the door panel i may take it of and put some caulking on it see if that helps

Old 11-11-2009, 03:39 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i fixed my leaking transmission fluid line today. the line felt like there was a peice chipped off of it. i cut the line and put it back together using a rubber line. i still can't figure out where the engine oil is leaking from yet. i plan on doing the timing and testing the vacuum tomoro as long as the it is another sunny day.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your RAM Today?